No announcement yet.
X

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone,
    I've really been wanting to get a bike and learn how to ride for awhile, and recently found a 1997 Katana 600 on Craigslist for $900. I really don't know much about motorcycles, but I figured I'd give it a try. I'm really looking forward to making the bike my own and learning as much as I can. Just figured this site would be the best place to go for help and inspiration!
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Nice find! Usually for that price the fairings are all junked. At least from a distance, looks like yours are in good shape.

There's a service manual available for download if you're mechanically inclined. There's some maintenance stuff you should look into if you don't know when things were last done (such as flushing brake fluid, changing fork oil, motor oil, synching the carbs, valve adjustment, lubing cables, greasing bearings) none of it is terribly difficult, even for a beginner.

"Make it my own" - looks wise, or performance wise?
    If it's performance, upgrade the front suspension (new fork oil/seals, and springs appropriate for your weight [stock ones are good for someone who weighs ~125] and if it's in your budget, valve emulators), rear shock (replace with a unit from a 98-06 750, have it rebuild, spring appropriate for your weight, and revalved) and a jet kit (factory pro stage 1).

Lots of mods for comfort and/or looks. Feel free to ask, most of more active members have done a lot of wrench turning/modding.

You in NorCal or SoCal?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome aboard
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Nice find! Check out the katana wiki for a wealth of information including free service manual downloads.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Awesome! Thanks! Looks like I have a lot to do, and consider. But I can't wait to get started. I live more in Central Calfornia, near Fresno. I guess that's south compared to you though!

Comment

Fresno...owie. My sympathies. Lots of places in the Central Valley I like. That isn't one of them. If you're happy there though
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

A riders couse is highly recommended, check the DMV web sight for providers in your area.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1000
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Looks like your bike find is a good one. Welcome.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to KR....and nice find....

Comment

Working...
                            X