X

possible new owner need advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible new owner need advice

Hi all! ive found a 93 Suzuki gsx 1100g in my area for 900. needing some advice if I should pull the trigger or walk away. its in the 50k range on miles, has pod filters and a opened up exhaust. bike sputters a bit on take off and in lower rpms. owner says it was rebuilt 5000 mi ago but not trusting them. would this bike be a good buy? anyone know where I can get a good unmolested exhaust system? headlamp? any and all input is appreciated.

What are your intentions and budget limitations for the bike?

Comment

my intentions are to get her running good, rideable on a 200 mile round trip possibly 2 up as far as budget its more a time thing. im a college student and this is my 2nd bike at the moment. so it would just be a matter of saving up for parts. which isn't a problem as the only thing id have to put money toward other than the bike will be insurance and fuel.

Comment

I'd do it in a heart beat, good price. Those pods are most likely causing the running issues and it may need a major maintenance done.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

as in major maintenance you mean all fluids changed carbs cleaned and gone through possible rejet, filters changed out new plugs, new rubber and grips, is what I had planned so far if I could get away with a rejet and sync on the carbs without having to replace the air box and filters and the exhaust. especially seeing as I cant find anywhere online that has them.

Comment

Yes, plus fork oil, brakes, chain, tires. The OEM filter with the airbox is best for CV carbs.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

it does have a new tire on the rear of the bike(still has nubs) and the front is on the list for near future. its a shaft drive so I wouldn't need a new chain but maybe seals? my intruder 800 is having that done now. I have seen some progressive fork spring for 80-100 which I was going to swap with the fork oil, forgot to put on list.. any idea where I can find the stock airbox and filter assy for reasonable price? also the exhaust seems to have been bored out would this cause the same issue as the air box? not having correct backpressure?

Comment

Oops the chain was from habit. The exhaust being bored? A larger exhaust causing running issues, Depends but, yes it could. A reject would correct it.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

no worries! and yes it appears that someone drilled holes in the exhaust for the higher airflow mod and then just ripped out most of the baffling. would the rejet correct the running issue and keep me from having to buy a airbox assembly?

Comment

If this is the bike, it looks like a pretty good deal. Make sure it has a clean title. Any parts you may need for it such as a stock exhaust you can find for sale on the internet. The seat can be recovered by yourself with a staple gun. As 92xjunker said the stock airbox you need to get it to run right so make sure to ask for it and any spare parts he has. Goodluck

Last edited by loneraider; 04-18-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

that's the one! he doesn't have any of the stock parts off of it though. but I did go look at it today. i will probly pick it up in the next week or two. its going to be an adjustment getting used to the handling coming from my 800 intruder but i want the power and highway speed it will provide. title is clean and in hand i saw it today. any idea where i can find the airbox? ive been able to find the breather hoses and all just no stock box.

Comment

This one has the boots on the airbox that you need. Maybe a salvage yard
                        around your location might have one but chances are things are pretty picked over.
                        I had to send to England for my lower fairings and a few other places but you can have a pretty
                        decent bike for a couple grand if you do the work yourself.
                        Last edited by loneraider; 01-16-2015, 01:18 AM.

Comment

yep that's it! thanks for the help yall ill update when i have some more info!

sharp ride there im sure ill be back soon. im going to sleep but will check back tomorrow
                          Last edited by jusdove; 01-16-2015, 01:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                          X