X

Newbie in VA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in VA

Just joined the forum. Just got a 98 Katana 600 in a trade. Traded my Civic for it. Runs good shifts great. Its my first real bike. She is a little ruff. Some one thought it would be a good idea to install gixxer fairing on it. Yea they dont fit at all. Ive already took them off. Going for the whole street fighter look.

Some pics:

Welcome to KR.

There are ALOT of other things done to that bike than just the fairings... expect to run into a lot of things that are not "stock".

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR

Yep, his ^ eye is way better than mine but even I'm picking up a few things. As far as it running rough - carbs probably need cleaning. See carbs 102 in the wiki (upper left) don't take short cuts. (Ie actually disassemble and soak everything, don't just spray stuff at it). There's also a a video version.

Other than that, does the bike have a jet kit? That stubby exhaust is going to lean things way out if not, so that might be something to look into. Might also be contributing to the rough running. It's also going to be loud as hell, but you probably figured that out already. All a matter of personal preference on that one.

Also, I'm on a phone so the pics are small, but it looks like the front forks were lowered. A lot. Generally 1/4" is enough to improve handling, yours look like they're extending through the triple clamp by a whole inch. So if the handling seems off, I'd start there. Might also want to check and see if lowering links were installed, if they are I'd almost guarantee that the front and rear weren't lowered evenly.

You can download the service manual from the wiki, always nice to have if you plan to do any of your own work.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Welcome to KR

Yep, his ^ eye is way better than mine but even I'm picking up a few things. As far as it running rough - carbs probably need cleaning. See carbs 102 in the wiki (upper left) don't take short cuts. (Ie actually disassemble and soak everything, don't just spray stuff at it). There's also a a video version.

Other than that, does the bike have a jet kit? That stubby exhaust is going to lean things way out if not, so that might be something to look into. Might also be contributing to the rough running. It's also going to be loud as hell, but you probably figured that out already. All a matter of personal preference on that one.

Also, I'm on a phone so the pics are small, but it looks like the front forks were lowered. A lot. Generally 1/4" is enough to improve handling, yours look like they're extending through the triple clamp by a whole inch. So if the handling seems off, I'd start there. Might also want to check and see if lowering links were installed, if they are I'd almost guarantee that the front and rear weren't lowered evenly.

You can download the service manual from the wiki, always nice to have if you plan to do any of your own work.
        Thanks, yea alot is not stock. The whole rear section has been changed. looks like some one cut the rear seat part off and welding on some tubing. Does not seem like a hack job at lest welds look good. On the jet kit I have no idea. The guy I got it from seemed not to know a whole lot about it. Yea it is loud as hell but I dont mind it. I want to say its a little rich seems to like to back fire when you let off the throttle but I can tell the crabs need work. Does seem lowered cause my dad had one and I could not flat foot it. This one I can. Also I feel like its kinda bouncy going over bumps not scary bouncy but its not very stiff. Thats with me and Im about 145 lb.
        Ive notice that the rear shock or strut dont know what they are called on bikes is hitting the center stand. Ill have to take pics of that.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

FYI if the bike is running lean enough, unburnt fuel goes out with the exhaust and ignites in the header/muffler.

Easy way to tell if there's a jet kit - pull the tank, and remove the top cover on one of the carbs. Remove the needle and take a look at it - does it have multiple grooves up top where the washer can be moved to? Yes - you have a jet kit. No - OEM. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, google jet kit needle and look at the images that come up - should be pretty self explanatory.

Shock might be worn out - it happens. Especially if the bike is improperly lowered. Or it might be hitting exactly because it's improperly lowered and the shock itself is still fine. Pics would probably help there. I wouldn't be able to tell, others here would.

The suspension on Kats is generally a weak point so even if it was mint...meh. Odds are your forks have never been rebuilt and still have the oil in them from the factory. Oil/seal change/rebuild will help, but getting springs from Racetech that are proper for your weight (and emulators if you can afford them) will transform it.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

I spot modified braking system, modified frame... Somebody really hacked that thing up wanting it to be a GSXR. Sad.
                - Purplehaze
                All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                  FYI if the bike is running lean enough, unburnt fuel goes out with the exhaust and ignites in the header/muffler.

Easy way to tell if there's a jet kit - pull the tank, and remove the top cover on one of the carbs. Remove the needle and take a look at it - does it have multiple grooves up top where the washer can be moved to? Yes - you have a jet kit. No - OEM. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, google jet kit needle and look at the images that come up - should be pretty self explanatory.

Shock might be worn out - it happens. Especially if the bike is improperly lowered. Or it might be hitting exactly because it's improperly lowered and the shock itself is still fine. Pics would probably help there. I wouldn't be able to tell, others here would.

The suspension on Kats is generally a weak point so even if it was mint...meh. Odds are your forks have never been rebuilt and still have the oil in them from the factory. Oil/seal change/rebuild will help, but getting springs from Racetech that are proper for your weight (and emulators if you can afford them) will transform it.
                  Ill have to check for a jet kit. Also when I get a chance Ill take pics of the rear shock. Can you adjust the rear shock?

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                  I spot modified braking system, modified frame... Somebody really hacked that thing up wanting it to be a GSXR. Sad.
                  The brakes have been modified? How so?

Comment

Originally posted by sickgixxer97 View Post
                    Ill have to check for a jet kit. Also when I get a chance Ill take pics of the rear shock. Can you adjust the rear shock?

The brakes have been modified? How so?
                    One of the things I saw is that the rear caliper is under the swingarm instead of on top of it.
                    First motorcycle - new project
                    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Oh ok. Does the swing arm look stock?

Comment

Post Kat calipers hang under like that, so it could still be off a Kat...
                        Personally i thought the swing arm looked a little long, but with all the modification out back, little hard for me to tell, don't really have a frame (haha) of reference.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by MEngineer View Post
                          One of the things I saw is that the rear caliper is under the swingarm instead of on top of it.

It's a post Kat as mentioned in the first post. Frame and swingarm match up to that 98 model parts.

There were questions about the suspension... no, not really adjustable as is. The general suggestion would be to purchase some parts for the front, and swap out the rear with a rebuildable shock setup that. Those will come with some adjustment options. Specifically get racetech springs and emulators for the front installed, and rebuild a post 750 rear shock and install that. I would definitely move the front end back up some... currently it's so low your triples will hit your fort lowers and damage the seals, if not the tops of the lowers. More than 3/4" of the tops of the tubes sticking up is a major no go.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i dig the street fighter look. and like everyone else said, start with a good carb cleaning. that will also give you a better look at what else has been jerry rigged

Comment

Will the rear shock set up off of a 05 work??

Comment

Working...
                              X