X

new rider from chicagoland area

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new rider from chicagoland area

Hello all, My name is George. I am a new to motorcycles and just got a 95 gsx600f.

A little history on the bike, my friend got it a little over two years ago and never really took care of it. Carbs were dirty when he got it and honestly the bike ran like total crap when he bought it for 1000 dollars. After some research we removed the carbs and took it to one of the mechanics that we work with cleaned them for us. I wasnt there when he decided to put the carbs back in and he got it running. But there was still some problems, the bike would "pop" and "sneeze" while warming up and still ran like garbage. After that he still wanted to paint the bike black, so he took it all apart again. After everything was painted, the bike never ran again. He let the bike sit for almost two years outside. He called me a few weeks again saying he was moving and told me if i wanted the bike, come get it. I rented a truck and took to my parents garage.

Finally being able to look at the bike, I noticed two or three disconnected vacuum lines, dead battery, low oil, sticky clutch etc. At first i thought i made a mistake of bring the bike here. After two or three hours of just tying up some "loose ends" and adding a little bit of oil. I got the bike to fire right up. i plugged some of the loose vacuum lines and the bike stopped popping and sneezing. Took it for a spin around the block and all i can think was "that was fun". Unfortunaly winter is coming over here in chicago and i dont think i have much time to ride it. Ill be fixing it up over winter time and i look forward to bothering you all with some noob questions.
    Attached Files
    96 gsx600f - new project

85 Buick Grand National - money pit

2003 TL Type S - daily driver

Welcome. That's not a bad deal at all. Congrats

Comment

Welcome and nice bike you will have a blast with it.

Comment

Welcome!
        Service manual available for download in the wiki.
        Also, even if it's running, it could probably run better - after sitting that long the carbs are likely gummed up. Check out carbs 101 in the wiki. It's a detailed how to for cleaning/rebuilding them n
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Definitely clean the carbs per carbs 101. Welcome to KR. The only thing carbs 101 doesn't mention that you should probably do is pull the carbs off the rails n dip them each individually overnight in chemdip. If I were you I'd also buy rebuild kits and replace all the rubber inside the carbs. These Kat's are damn near bulletproof. I'm confident you can get her back A1 just like I did with my 97. My bike was severely neglected when I got it too
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
          X