X

New rider from Finland

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rider from Finland

Sup, I'm a guy from Helsinki, Finland, born in 1992. My ride is a blue 1995 GSX600FS Kat which I bought for a whopping 1450€ ($1900) with 85.000km (53k miles) on the clock on July 17th. I've put a little over 2k km on it since then. Also a new set of tires (Shinko 011 Verge 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear) because the old set (Bridgestone Battlax front and Michelin Pilot Roadsomethingsomething rear) had seen better days. This is my first proper motorcycle, my earlier ride was a 50cc scooter which I rode for 5 years during my teenager years. My little brother inherited it.

I bought the bike because my old car (a beater BMW) grenaded the clutch and I couldn't bother fixing it, so I sold it and bought a bike instead. A purchase I haven't (yet) regretted. I use it for everyday transportation and commuting (my longest commutes are about 30mins of highway) and it has worked flawlessly thus far. With gear good enough to keep water off my skin and the Northern chill off my bones paired with a new set of tires, the bike is a solid sports tourer and commuter. Lots of fun.

About the bike:
    Pros:
    • Looks (I don't get the whole "lol teapot", I like the looks. A little dated, yes, but the design is from the 80's, what do you expect?)
    • Double exhausts. My inner 12-year-old is gleeful. Also contributes to my appreciation of symmetry.
    • Reliability and fixability (simple engineering everywhere, nothing flashy or high-tech. Oil-cooled whoop whoop!)
    • Performance (mild enough not to get me killed, powerful enough to crack a smile at any time)
    • Handling (agile yet manageable)

Mixed:
    • Fuel economy. It's not bad, but it could always be better. I'm getting around 5.5L/100km (43MPG) during normal riding. 4L/100km (59MPG) would be more to my liking.
    • Ergos. They're pretty good, just not always. Then again, I'm 190cm (6'3") tall, so it might not be the bike's fault.
    • Availability of spare parts and aftermarket. General maintenance parts (brake pads, chains, sprockets etc. etc.) are easy to find and cheap, as are general aftermarket parts, but anything more specific is either expensive (fairings, even the shittiest Chinese knock-offs) or impossible to find (frame sliders, anyone???)

Cons:
    • Suspension sucks from the factory. Can be fixed/remedied, though.
    • Needs a repaint badly. Will do that in the winter among other cosmetic modification and touch-up.
    • What underseat storage?
    • That annoying engine vibration when cruising at around around 6-8k RPM. In 6th gear that means around 120km/h (75MPH), which is the maximum speed limit in Finland. So you either gotta go a little over the speed limit or well under. Guess which one I pick...

Looking forward to finding loads of great info (already found the Wiki!) and great stories, and eager to share my own.

I will do a project log / build diary sometime later, right now I'm in the middle of moving, so can't spend too much time with my bike.
    Last edited by Morgion; 08-18-2014, 06:29 PM.
    1995 GSX600F ///// Build diary

Sounds like a great bike and like you have some good plans. Enjoy at least until you hit winter lol
    You will find lots of help here enjoy

Comment

Welcome to KR how about getting some pics posted ? we LOVE pics on KR

Ride safe.
      Carpe Jugulum...
      1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Yeah, the bike is not perfect, but it was dirt cheap so the value for my money was off the charts.

Will get pics up ASAP, I'm currently suffering from an acute lack of a decent camera and it's a major pain in the ass to get good pictures with my smartphone.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

hyva paiva,

I go to Tampere at least every other year and visit Helsinki while there.

The best mongolian in Findland is there... Bamboo Center.. over by the docks in downtown.

At least in the summer you don't have to do much night riding.

Good to see riders over there. Awesome.

Comment

Got some pictures for ya!
                She's pretty dirty, it's been raining a lot and I commute on her daily. Also sorry about the blurry edges (and general bad quality) in the pictures, my shitty phone camera doesn't like the humidity.

Noticed today that she's burning oil in cylinder #3 or #4 (seeing as the white smoke is only coming from the right exhaust pipe). I'll just add some oil and tear the engine apart come winter.

I will also be repainting her during winter. All the dark blue is some half-assed vinyl wrap some previous owner did and the original paint is pretty beat up and scratched and whatnot. So nothing of value will be lost.

The numbers on the odo are obviously kilometers. Pretty indestructible nevertheless.

Comment

Nice bike man! Welcome to KR! keep your eyes peeled, lots of little things u can do to modernize it.
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

As soon as the roads start freezing I will pretty much rip the bike apart and rebuild it along with a DIY custom paintjob (nothing outrageous) and some other minor cosmetic improvements.

Most of the work will be general maintenance and some little fixes (steel brake lines, improving suspension etc.), I'm not thinking about any functional mods right now apart from some touring accessories (a custom tank bag (WIP) and a smartphone holder).

Comment

Are you a Suomi native? your use of English preposition is almost TOO good to be native FIN. The wife and I own an apartment off of Albertinkatu, over by city center and down the street from the Sokos Hotel. I'll hit you up when we go back this next spring.
                      I'll buy drinks @ MBAR.

Ride safely.

Comment

Yup, born and raised. I thank the internationally famous Finnish public education system. It's a deal, my friend works as a bouncer there so I'm a frequent sight.

Comment

Working...
                        X