X

$300 95 Katana :)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $300 95 Katana :)

Hello everyone I just bought myself a 95 katana gsx!! I am very happy with it even though it's not running right now but it is surprisingly clean for the $300 that I paid for it!! Anyways I am new to riding (only riding I did was as a kid on friends dirtbikes) and just wanted a place to come for tips and any helpful advice is very appreciated, currently the bike will turn over and we can get it to start up for about a second or 2 enough for a decent rev of the engine and can't hear anything that sounds off. The bike was last registered in 04 so I'm guessing its been sitting for that long so my friend and I are going to start with a good carb clean and a battery swap and see what happens from there if anyone else has any ideas or tips on what can be done I'd appreciated it very much!! Thanks! LG G2 613.jpg

LG G2 614.jpg

LG G2 615.jpg

dang pics

not sure why those pictures went sideways, sorry guys!

Comment

04????

Don't stop at the battery, you might as well go all out and do it right.

Battery
      tires
      brake fluid
      fork oil
      carefully inspect your brake lines and chain & sprockets, you'll probably need a new chain/sprockets.

Download a service manual, start shopping for parts and barring any hidden mechanical faults you should have her up and running smooth in no time.
      Kyle

Comment

welcome to the insanity. don't forget to gear up.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome on board, have fun

Comment

Yessir definitely plan on doing a full over on her just wanting to make sure she starts up and runs before I go into it more, kinda strapped for play money right now so starting small!!

Comment

Have fun and welcome also check gas lines my bike when the tank came off the lines looked like crap. So a general overall inspection is a primo idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Slammer46 View Post
                Have fun and welcome also check gas lines my bike when the tank came off the lines looked like crap. So a general overall inspection is a primo idea.

Yeah a few gas lines are starting to split, not leaking but close, plus they are all pretty stiff and dry so getting replaced either way!! Thanks everyone!!

Comment

I'm also new to the forum but welcome and congrats on the deal. I got one heck of a deal myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Somamp3 View Post
                    I'm also new to the forum but welcome and congrats on the deal. I got one heck of a deal myself.
                    From what I've read you sure did, congrats!! I wish mine ran I have such an itch to ride and the weather has been perfect here in Colorado Springs!!!

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to Kr!

Comment

Welcome to the board.

Comment

Hi! I also just bought a 1995 Katana 600 as my first bike at a decent price, mine being $500.

When I bought the bike, the owner told me she had a friend doing some work on it, replacing some valves and o-rings and things like that, and mentioned the last thing her mechanic said was the carbs needed to be re-synced. He lost his place to live/work, so the bike sat for a few months and she was under pressure to either get it running or get it out of their garage, so she sold it to re-coup the cost of some parts she had put into it.

A local shop game me a free inspection and said it would need new tires, fork seals and a gas tank. They said the inside of the gas tank being rusty is what's causing the problem with the carbs, and that they may not need to be synced. Thus leading to my search for a replacement gas tank. After a quick search, I found a couple for sale in decent shape in my area, but they are from a 1994 GSX.

Bringing me to my TL;DR question; are 1994 and 1995 fuel tanks compatible/interchangeable?

Comment

Originally posted by jodakilla View Post
                              ...but they are from a 1994 GSX.

Bringing me to my TL;DR question; are 1994 and 1995 fuel tanks compatible/interchangeable?
                              If that is a GSX***F (aka a Katana), then yes, the tanks would be interchangeable.

1988-1997 GSX600R

If that is a GSX-R*** (aka a Gixxer), then not really.

1992-1997 GSX-R

Comment

Working...
                              X