X

First post and my first bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post and my first bike

Well I just given my first bike it's an 03 600 Kat with 4500miles on it. I have some mantaince I gotta do and have no idea how to go about it. The fuel lines are old cracked and leaking everywhere and the thing has never had an oil change of any sort. I am very mechanically inclined I drive old vw's. lol But I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction on how to remove the plastics and how to go about changing the gear oil along with the engine oil. And what ever else I should learn about maintenance before I jump on this thing and take off. Thanks in advance and a big hello from Portland oregon

Welcome, download a manual from the wiki above.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thank you!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome and good luck. +1 On the manual.

Comment

Here is something I wrote up some years back on removing fairings.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

and + 2 for the manual
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrenn269 View Post
              Well I just given my first bike it's an 03 600 Kat with 4500miles on it. I have some mantaince I gotta do and have no idea how to go about it. The fuel lines are old cracked and leaking everywhere and the thing has never had an oil change of any sort. I am very mechanically inclined I drive old vw's. lol But I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction on how to remove the plastics and how to go about changing the gear oil along with the engine oil. And what ever else I should learn about maintenance before I jump on this thing and take off. Thanks in advance and a big hello from Portland oregon

Welcome to KR.

It's a wet clutch system, so no gear oil. Just the engine oil, brake fluids are the only fluids to change/check.

Make sure you use a good oil with out friction additives... those will make the clutch slip. Any oil sold as a motorcycle oil will be good, or you can read the options on the multiple "what oil to use" threads here to consider other things. I personally find Rotella T6 synth works fine for me and my location.

Your probably going to need to clean the carbs. Carbs 102 (wiki search) will give you the step by on how to do that. Don't skip steps, trust us on that and it will work out the first time.

I'd suggest you check the manual for the maintenance schedule, do everything on the list. It's a new to you bike, so lets make sure everything is in good order first thing.

I would strongly suggest you consider new tires (even if good tread, the old ones are really old, hard, and now slick as glass on the road) and brake lines. Stainless braided lines are fairly cheap, last a lifetime, and will greatly improve the stopping performance.

Good luck, welcome to KR!

krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Hi, welcome aboard

Comment

Welcome!
                    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                    X