X

new here from auburn alabama

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here from auburn alabama

hey all im new to the motorcycling road. i recently got a 95 katana 600. its not currently running but its my first bike. not much to really say about it just yet as its a project in progress..missing dash and panels doesnt start...but it turns over. will post pics of progress of work. if anyone can give me tips on riding feel free to post them up for me. i have looked the site over and i must say everyone is friendly and very helpful.
    sigpicOwner of 1995 katana 600

Welcome to KR!
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Howdy!

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to KR. I have a 1995 600 as well. If you need pictures of anything let me know.

MG

Comment

Originally posted by Moto_Geek View Post
          Welcome to KR. I have a 1995 600 as well. If you need pictures of anything let me know.

MG

i actually do need a few pictures. under the seat and filter box there is 2 black plugs that are square. do they hook up to anything and also should there be 2 fuel filters coming out of the shut off valve or just one. if just one which line should it be on?

Comment

Welcome to the fold

Comment

Woot!

Comment

Originally posted by streetracer26 View Post
                i actually do need a few pictures. under the seat and filter box there is 2 black plugs that are square. do they hook up to anything and also should there be 2 fuel filters coming out of the shut off valve or just one. if just one which line should it be on?
                Are these plugs under the air filter box? If so it will be the weekend before I can get you pictures. I just put my bike back together and will be riding it to work the next couple days. Also, as far as fuel filters, I have NO idea if they came stock with fuel filters, but my bike doesn't have any filters between the fuel petcock and the carbs. Not sure if it should or not. Once you clarify on what picture you need, I'll try to get it for you...

MG

Comment

yeah these plugs are under the filter box..i know i cars they are used to do testing with but not sure on a bike. or is it possible they are for the panel for speedometer and rpm gauges. i am going to take away the filter box and replace it with small filter cones on each carb. its way easier the box is a pain to put on once its off. i have a pic of my bike on my signature

Comment

Welcome and good luck!

Comment

also please post me a link on where about to find a how to guide to disassemble my carbs and rebuild..im sure thats my issue of not starting plus plugs

Comment

Carbs 101:

Do NOT take shortcuts. Follow it, and you'll be good to go.
                        Can't help with your plug question as my '06 is a little different.
                        As far as general riding tips:
                        1) ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time. Shit can and does happen. Dress accordingly. You might be a freaken prodigy, but you can't control the minivan running a red light and about to Tbone you.
                        2) ride within your limits.
                        3) if you're riding with others, don't try to keep up. Ride at your own pace.
                        4) public streets aren't a race course. There are tracks you can utilize for track days if that's your thing.
                        5) no one really cares how cool you look except you.
                        6) educate yourself - seems like you're already working on this one - but that includes practice. Take an MSF course, get a drill book (or ask for a few) and find a parking lot to practice in. Ask other riders you meet, see what other riders are doing on the road. Watch YouTube videos. Ask questions here.
                        Good luck with getting her running, and have a blast!
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

your awesome thanks alot.

and on the plugs part...it maybe my whole issue i pulled one wire out and it was slam full of water same way on 2 others..ive managed to get all the water out. going to check the plugs them self tomorrow sometime. and set tank back down to see if it will fire up at all..even if the carbs need cleaning it should attempt to run (i hope) if it does and the carbs are nasty it would run like crap but hey it would be a progression than when i got it.
                          Last edited by streetracer26; 06-18-2014, 03:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Better option, post pics of these plugs and we can ID them for you.

On a pre, no ... no fuel filters at all. Your petcock has a screen that works better than any in line fuel filter you can purchase.

i am going to take away the filter box and replace it with small filter cones on each carb. its way easier the box is a pain to put on once its off.
                            This will most likely result in severe running issues. The Kat carbs do not play well with the pod air filters. My suggestion is stick with the air box. If your bound and determined to use pod air filters, then... Your going to need to invest a lot of time, and some $ in custom jetting, dyno testing to tune the carbs, a lot of repetitive work, and finally... you will end up with a bike that performs less than OEM.

and on the plugs part...it maybe my whole issue i pulled one wire out and it was slam full of water same way on 2 others..ive managed to get all the water out. going to check the plugs them self tomorrow sometime. and set tank back down to see if it will fire up at all..even if the carbs need cleaning it should attempt to run (i hope) if it does and the carbs are nasty it would run like crap but hey it would be a progression than when i got it.
                            Are you talking about spark plugs?

If so, you need to clean the drain ports for each cylinder. The come out just under the exhaust ports on the front of the engine. Use a piece of wire, and clean out the holes. That should allow any water to drain around the spark plugs and keep the plug wells dry.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

if you want your bike to run right, and well you will need to keep the airbox. it is a pain i agree but its there for a reason. Kats dont like Pod air filters. I can promise you, you wont get it tuned to account the change in back pressure.

There is a fuel filter on the petcock up in the fuel tank. Or at least there should be. Adding in line fuel filters changes the flow of fuel and will also cause problems. Take them off, pull the petcock to make sure there is still one on there. If not, order the replacement.

Petcock fuel filter:

I dont know what the black plugs you speak of off hand are, but im pretty sure your speedo comes from the front tire.
                              Last edited by maniac1886; 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM.
                              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X