Introduction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope this works, a link to my dropbox file:

will also try to put link on the wiki

OK, not sure how to post to wiki, haven't attempted it before and don't have time to learn today. May try at a later date
    Last edited by Stan; 06-08-2014, 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The rear is definitely sitting low. Probably lowered. Check the links on the bottom that connect the cushion and swingarm. If they have more than one hole on the bottom, that's a pretty clear example of a set of lowering links.
      Not sure if im looking in the right place, but here are two pics I took .. is this what you mean.

I see its preloaded at 4 here.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thejer View Post
        Not sure if im looking in the right place, but here are two pics I took .. is this what you mean.

I see its preloaded at 4 here.

That's the shock in the center, with the preload. The upper right hand corner has one of the links. The links are 2 straight pieces of metal that connect the cushion (the curved thick part both the shock and links connect too) to the swingarm. Measure the length of the links and I can verify later today the stock length so you know if they have been swapped. Measure center bolt hole to center bolt hole.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          That's the shock in the center, with the preload. The upper right hand corner has one of the links. The links are 2 straight pieces of metal that connect the cushion (the curved thick part both the shock and links connect too) to the swingarm. Measure the length of the links and I can verify later today the stock length so you know if they have been swapped. Measure center bolt hole to center bolt hole.

Krey
          Quick dirty measurement is 7.5 inches (19 cm)

dirty meaning tape measure under bike without taking it apart heheh

Comment

Gonna be a fun bike once you finish sorting out the couple of little issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Slammer46 View Post
              Gonna be a fun bike once you finish sorting out the couple of little issues.
              Its fun already.. but yes I found out today it does need a steering head bearing replacement.. it is catching and feels like its draggin.. so ill replace it.

Need two new tires, and have to fix the back brakes as well... thats all just to pass the safety lol ...

Comment

Its fun already.. but yes I found out today it does need a steering head bearing replacement.. it is catching and feels like its draggin.. so ill replace it.

Need two new tires, and have to fix the back brakes as well... thats all just to pass the safety lol ...
                I just replaced my steering head bearings. the only tough part was removing the old races.to get the bottom race out I had to make a tool from a long bolt. used a washer between two nuts to gave me the angle to reach the race. changing the bearings and dropping the front 1/2 inch made a noticeable improvement.
                Last edited by KAT TOY; 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Quick dirty measurement is 7.5 inches (19 cm)

dirty meaning tape measure under bike without taking it apart heheh

Good news... that's pretty much stock.

Bad news... that means it's most likely a worn/sagging shock causing the rear to sit so low.

I would suggest you consider having a Post 750 shock rebuilt by Tmod and installed. If you do that, also consider making the front work right too by adding springs and emulators.

krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Those rebuilt/valved/sprung shocks make a huge difference.
                    Welcome, looks like a nice find!
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I am looking at replacing that shock (see other post in mechanics 101), however I have replaced a couple things already and its made a difference

Brand new rubber (front and rear)
                      Steering head bearings
                      Chain Guard ( have to have one here )
                      Rear Brakes
                      Seafoam in engine (might soak my carbs in them too later on)
                      Oil Change
                      Lubricated clutch and front brake cables

Just those changes alone have made a huge difference in how it rides.. okay just the tires and steering bearings, but still lol !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X