X

New Rider, advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rider, advice?

Hi everyone, newbie rider just joining KR so decided to start by an introduction/ asking for some tips and advice. Got a used 1991 600 Kat which is all fixed up and simply waiting on the weather to get better to ride lol. As for gear, I have the gloves and jacket so far, but having issues with helmet (where i hoped I can get some advice from here).

Was looking for a helmet around $200-$300 price range and picked up an AGV K4 but after wearing a couple of times it hurt the side of my temple at exactly 1 hr. Took it back and the guy who suggested swapping it out for a Shoei RF 1100 (as they are on closeout thus cheap). I researched it the Shoei but it seems it is made for similar head types as the AGV k4. So, I'm guessing I have a neutral/ slightly round head? hence any advice from anyone about which helmet or if I'm doing something wrong would be helpful. Also any newbie tips are welcome.

Excited to be here and can't wait for snow to clear so I can start riding! Thanks!

Originally posted by iali4527 View Post
    Hi everyone, newbie rider just joining KR so decided to start by an introduction/ asking for some tips and advice. Got a used 1991 600 Kat which is all fixed up and simply waiting on the weather to get better to ride lol. As for gear, I have the gloves and jacket so far, but having issues with helmet (where i hoped I can get some advice from here).

Was looking for a helmet around $200-$300 price range and picked up an AGV K4 but after wearing a couple of times it hurt the side of my temple at exactly 1 hr. Took it back and the guy who suggested swapping it out for a Shoei RF 1100 (as they are on closeout thus cheap). I researched it the Shoei but it seems it is made for similar head types as the AGV k4. So, I'm guessing I have a neutral/ slightly round head? hence any advice from anyone about which helmet or if I'm doing something wrong would be helpful. Also any newbie tips are welcome.

Excited to be here and can't wait for snow to clear so I can start riding! Thanks!

Spend significantly more $ for brands that have alternate head shape options, or get 1 size larger cheaper helmets and use extra padding to make it fit correctly.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR!

In that price range, HLC helmets tend to fit a more neutral (round) head shape.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Wear a prospective helmet around the shop for a good 10 - 15 minutes. Any red spots on your face or pressure points felt anywhere mean it will be unwearable after an hour or so. If you can "swap out", can you also test ride? That would help determine comfort, aerodynamics and noise levels.

Comment

I actually did wear this helmet for 10-15 minutes and it didn't give me any pain. I only started when I wore it at home at the 1 hr+ mark. I am able to do a test ride with it, they give a 7 day no hassle return as long as it's not damaged.

Thanks, I'll look into some HLC helmets, I also found a Shoei Qwest which is said to be more rounder than normal, going to try it out. Any thoughts on this helmet?

Comment

Originally posted by iali4527 View Post
            I actually did wear this helmet for 10-15 minutes and it didn't give me any pain. I only started when I wore it at home at the 1 hr+ mark. I am able to do a test ride with it, they give a 7 day no hassle return as long as it's not damaged.

Thanks, I'll look into some HLC helmets, I also found a Shoei Qwest which is said to be more rounder than normal, going to try it out. Any thoughts on this helmet?

While there are going to be some variances in the shapes, most (especially cheaper brands) helmets are going to be a basic neutral shape. Sizing is done by having generally 3 sized shells the same shaped internals. Size is then "fine tuned" by adjusting the padding.

Only a few of the more expensive brands have multiple head shaped options in each of the sizes to accommodate the larger real life variety of heads.

Example: http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=132

Definitely not cheap, but...

So, unless your going to spend the big $, your helmet is only going to fit comfortably by getting the right size shell over all and appropriate padding to conform a tight but comfortable fit around your differently shaped head. You may find different cheap helmet versions that hurt less, but they still won't fit.... right.

The simplified answer to why the helmet hurts... Your closer to the max size for the helmet shell so it has less padding, but your head shape is causing specific points of your head to compress the thin padding and rest against the inner shell to form the pressure point.

If your sticking with the low cost options, look for helmets that have removable and variable thickness options for the inner padding. You probably will have to choose a 1 size larger than normal, and use more padding to correct the fit.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X