Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, just thought i would introduce myself. I have been riding dirtbikes since i was a kid, up until a couple of years ago when i took the plunge and got my license. I have been riding a gs500 for two years and i am now looking to upgrade to either a 750 Kat or gsx650f. I have to stick to sport touring and under 1000cc. Anyhow i look forward to posting here and learning more about Katanas.

Cheers.

Welcome!
    Why the restriction? And no worries, you still get a plenty capable bike within that range. Personally I'd go 750. I don't care for the looks of the "new" 650. Can't base it off anything else as I really dont know much about them.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
      Welcome!
      Why the restriction?
      One word, insurance! lol I will be paying around $1700 a year for the 750 kat and about $1600 for the gsx. Personally i like the looks of the gsx better, however i like the numbers for the kat more.

Comment

What year is your GS500? We got my girl a 1980 GS550 for her first bike last year.
        - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Welcome. One thing to consider is how well you know your way around carbs and how mechanically inclined are you. I'm assuming, because you have been on dirt bikes, you know a thing or two about wrenching. The reason I say this is because you will eventually have to work on the bike regaurdless of your choice. I'm not saying you cant learn or shouldn't try to learn, but it's something to consider. Your carbs will also play a part in the numbers you like on the kat. On the 650F, it's fuel injected and computer programmed to give you pretty much the same results no mater climate, elevation, or, for the most part, age. Either way, as long as the bikes were taken care of you will be happy with your choice. I've now been on the kat 600, 750 and recently the 650F and they were all very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
            What year is your GS500? We got my girl a 1980 GS550 for her first bike last year.

My 500 is a 2004. It really is a great bike, however I ride the highway a lot and could definitely use more power and weight.

Originally posted by Bkohs View Post
            Welcome. One thing to consider is how well you know your way around carbs and how mechanically inclined are you. I'm assuming, because you have been on dirt bikes, you know a thing or two about wrenching. The reason I say this is because you will eventually have to work on the bike regaurdless of your choice. I'm not saying you cant learn or shouldn't try to learn, but it's something to consider. Your carbs will also play a part in the numbers you like on the kat. On the 650F, it's fuel injected and computer programmed to give you pretty much the same results no mater climate, elevation, or, for the most part, age. Either way, as long as the bikes were taken care of you will be happy with your choice. I've now been on the kat 600, 750 and recently the 650F and they were all very nice.

I am quite familiar with carb engines, and for me maintenance and wrenching is part of the fun. The 650f being fuel infected is nice, however looking at the numbers makes me worry that I may get bored quickly with it. I realize that the 750 Kat does not make much more power, but there is def more torque. Obviously I am just going by the numbers here, and I will be trying before I buy. I am kind of leaning towards the 750 at this point. That is if I can find an 06 in Black with low KM's lol
            Last edited by Bikes4Life; 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Welcome. Keep in mind that an 89-97 750 Kat makes more power than the 98+ bikes. (Looks better, too!) Even if you go with the newer model Kats they're liable to need some work. After all, they're not new, either.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR! Insurance rates for a young rider in Ontario are insane for any Gixxer, but the Katana is classified as a sport\tourer and would definitely be a better choice. Be sure to find a company to insure it first. You may want to check out TD bank's rates (Primmum Ins.)
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome!
                    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Welcome. Keep in mind that an 89-97 750 Kat makes more power than the 98+ bikes. (Looks better, too!) Even if you go with the newer model Kats they're liable to need some work. After all, they're not new, either.
                      I def like the looks and numbers for the pre 98 better, however they are likely to need more work and have higher mileage. This is not always the case, sometimes really good examples of pre 98 kats can be found, however in my area I am more likely to find the later versions. Even if I do find a nice 06, it will more than likely need some minor work being over 8 years old.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                      Welcome to KR! Insurance rates for a young rider in Ontario are insane for any Gixxer, but the Katana is classified as a sport\tourer and would definitely be a better choice. Be sure to find a company to insure it first. You may want to check out TD bank's rates (Primmum Ins.)
                      Yup, TD/primmum is the only company who would touch me. I am 29 years old with a clean record, 6 star driver, MSF course and last year I payed $1596 for my GS500. This year I am paying $992 for the GS, and quoted $1700 for the 750 Kat. I priced out some SS bikes like the gixxer, cbr, etc and they ranged from $2100 to $4800 a year depending on the model, year, cc and so on. In the end I do alot of highway riding,2 plus hours or more, and feel that the Katana is better suited to this anyhow. ymmv
                      Last edited by Bikes4Life; 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

dear god those are crazy prices. i paid under 400 for a years worth. I'm 27 ride a 99 750 kat and MSF qualed, and a pretty clean record in California and welcome to KR!
                        1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Originally posted by Bikes4Life View Post
                          ...Even if I do find a nice 06, it will more than likely need some minor work being over 8 years old...
                          That was kinda my point.

As for the insurance, I really feel for you guys north of the border. I pay $75/year for liability insurance. Full coverage would raise it to $126. You're allowed to cry now.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That was kinda my point.

As for the insurance, I really feel for you guys north of the border. I pay $75/year for liability insurance. Full coverage would raise it to $126. You're allowed to cry now.
                            I think I paid about 180$ for a year for the minimum
                            1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

That was kinda my point.

Well, that goes hand in hand when buying anything used. As for the insurance rates, that is just crazy cheap. I pay more than that to insure my snow machine.

Originally posted by raidinmd View Post
                              I think I paid about 180$ for a year for the minimum
                              I will be paying about $240 a month 7months. With a clean record!
                              Last edited by Bikes4Life; 02-14-2014, 08:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X