X

New member and new rider

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and new rider

Hey guys, thankfully the registration link was fixed so I could make an account.
    Im in the process of fixing up a 03 600 and im just looking for good info. Ive been reading a crap ton and im currently ripping all the carbs apart and fixing everything the previous owner (military) messed up on it.
    Ive gone through carbs 101 and 102 about 2-3 times before I even got into it. Just need to soak them and get some new gaskets and that part will be fixed.

Im also in the process of stripping all the paint off the plastics. This thing had about 4-5 paints on it and all of them were junk so im stripping to bare ABS and then spraygunning it back on proper.

Hope to read more and more to get this going before I get to riding.
    This will be my first bike but I have been on CBR600's and a Honda shadow for a 20-40 minute test drive so im not completely clueless.

RIDE ON!

Welcome to KR. Fixing it up is one of the beat parts it allows you to get to know your bike more. Best of luck an post some pics.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders, plenty of information to be found.

Careful about the carbs, watch those black plugs on the pilot jets and the float bowl o-rings -- these must be able to hold their own under gravity and the latter really seal and hold well. If they're badly worn it can be a bit of a guessing game as to what was going on.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
          Careful about the carbs, watch those black plugs on the pilot jets and the float bowl o-rings -- these must be able to hold their own under gravity and the latter really seal and hold well. If they're badly worn it can be a bit of a guessing game as to what was going on.
          oh lord, what black plugs on the pilot jets? do you have a picture for reference? I dont think I saw any black plugs when I took it apart. Then again there has been a ton wrong with these poor carbs.

Thanks guys again, right now im just trying to sort all the hack jobs and weak "fixes" that ive found on this bike.

Comment

You don't have black plugs over the pilot jets. That's a pre 98 thing. I was trying to figure out what bike you have, and I see it's an 03. No pilot jet plugs.

Comment

Whew, good. All I have to go off of are pictures I find and part look up exploded views so I wasnt sure.

Comment

welcome to KR, pay attention to the little parts! they are a pain. take plenty of reference pictures for yourself, I just went through a total tear down of my carbs (99 750)
                1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Its not bad as long as I take them apart once. I have a photographic memory for assembly.
                  Just this last year I had to do a headgasket job on the wifes minivan. Not hard but man there are a ton of parts that come off to get in there.

Comment

If only I was so skilled lol.
                    1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Welcome!
                      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome! Sounds like you know your way around a wrench.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome. Starting with the carbs... you're doing it right.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            Welcome. Starting with the carbs... you're doing it right.
                            The guy that I bought it from said he "just cleaned them" but they were FAR from clean and I had to already put about 20 bucks in springs and washers/screws into it.
                            That and when I took the bowls off one float was stuck and on another carb the main jet was sitting in the bowl!
                            Needless to say after seeing that I began tear down.

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                            Welcome! Sounds like you know your way around a wrench.
                            Id like to think im good but ive been belittled by some of the most trivial things at times. Im not a mechanic but i do know how to get around most engines (besides diesel)

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              You don't have black plugs over the pilot jets. That's a pre 98 thing. I was trying to figure out what bike you have, and I see it's an 03. No pilot jet plugs.
                              Whoops, typical of me to think only pre-minded (They're better anyways, right? )
                              - Purplehaze
                              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Working...
                              X