Newbie in Roswell, GA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in Roswell, GA

Hello all!

I just picked up a project bike (1990 Katana 750) from a custom shop owner that was clearing out older projects he wasn't going to finish. I've got to order clutch plates and a new battery, but this is going to be my first rebuild / fixer upper opportunity.

My kids are very excited to help, and I'm clearing out space in the garage, but I'm not exactly sure what I've gotten myself into, and am looking to this forum to potentially help me prioritize the major fixes.

Also, as a newb, I want to clarify that my handle has nothing to do with my riding style, but I was a comic book fan growing up, and Daredevil was my favorite.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to updating you throughout the project. Be as blunt and rough as you want with suggestions...I can take it, and welcome your knowledge and insight.

Welcome. Same as the other guy, I'll recommend that you just plan on cleaning your carbs before you even try riding the bike. Better to get it over with now than to wait until the weather's nice and you'd rather be riding. Hit the wiki (link at the top, left of this screen) and search for "carbs 101".
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      Welcome. Same as the other guy, I'll recommend that you just plan on cleaning your carbs before you even try riding the bike. Better to get it over with now than to wait until the weather's nice and you'd rather be riding. Hit the wiki (link at the top, left of this screen) and search for "carbs 101".
      There's also a repair manual in the wiki. +1 to carb rebuild. Also, stick with a stock filter/airbox - NOT a K&N or pods. They flow too much air and you'll have a lot if difficulty tuning the carbs.

Good luck, sounds like an awesome family project!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome!
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Not trying to be too blunt here, DD, but Good morning and Welcome to KR!

Sounds like you've got a great deal of fun in store once the weather is more agreeable. Ride safe and think about attending the rally. A fantastic group indeed.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome and good luck getting your bike into shape

Ride safe, Colin.
            Carpe Jugulum...
            1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

welcome. I'm in Athens and ride the NGa mtns almost weekly.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome!
                  1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Working...
                  X