X

Whassabi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whassabi

Nice to see a bunch of like minded people helping one another with their common cause. I love to ride, and have been doing so for almost thirty years. I have only owned a GSX-R once before but loved that machine. This current one is a 750 Katana from 1997 and only has 13k on it. It already seems to need a cam tensioner and a valve adjust, but other than that it seems like a happy bike. i got it at a semi-reduced price, so it should be worth what i have in it by the time I get it right. How long do these air cooled engines go if taken care of? How much are used 4 into ones (exh)for this year and make going for, and is it even worth altering from stock? I also like cornering. but these are a little heavy and was wondering what effect Pirelli Demons or other tires have had on handling, or does it even matter? If I asked too many questions for a hello post, then disregard and I will put them individually in the proper forum. Nice to meet you all. -AJ (Groth)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Grothnagle; 11-24-2013, 03:56 PM.

Welcome!
    Can't say much about the exhaust personally, but if you're looking for power gains the general consensus seems to be not worth it, it's more about getting a sound you like. As far as tires go, Pirelli demons are pretty good. I've run stock, those and Michelin pilot road 2 and 3. The PR2 and 3 are great. The demon is pretty good, but the pr 2/3 take the cake. Either will improve handling over stock tires, or old tired ones. The suspension is still going to only be so so though. Change the fork oil. It'll help a bit, but lots if people get new springs from racetech and they really like the improvement.
    I believe your motor has tappet style valve adjustment, if so they should definitely be checked. It's an air/oil colled bike, so it's going to have chatter. But the interval is 7.5k miles or so, and who knows if its ever been done before.
    If you want a manual tensioner, I think most people here prefer APE. Seems odd for it to go bad that fast, but weird shit happens. You can download the service manual from the wiki, it can walk you through how to check it.

If taken care of, these bikes last 100k miles. We've got at least 2 active members I'm aware of that are at the 100k mark. Mines only at 46, so it's just entering midlife.

Hope you get your issues sorted out and you're riding soon!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR. Got pix?
      http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome....

Comment

Working...
            X