X

Quick question about forks.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about forks.

I have to replace the fork oil seals this weekend coming. After trolling through the posts on here my brain has turned to mush. I have also downloaded the haynes book of destructions and still im not sure.
    My question is can I replace the fork seals with out removing the stanchion from the fork bottom? I have oil seal pullers and if needed can make up a tool to get the old seals out.
    Once the old seals out can I fit the new seals by seating them with the stanchion still in the fork bottom?
    sigpic
    "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Originally posted by KevinGambrell View Post
    I have to replace the fork oil seals this weekend coming. After trolling through the posts on here my brain has turned to mush. I have also downloaded the haynes book of destructions and still im not sure.
    My question is can I replace the fork seals with out removing the stanchion from the fork bottom? I have oil seal pullers and if needed can make up a tool to get the old seals out.
    Once the old seals out can I fit the new seals by seating them with the stanchion still in the fork bottom?
    If your replacing the seals, I would very strongly suggest you replace the oil. The oil goes rancid after just a year or 2.

If your replacing the oil, there really is no reason to not disassemble and clean the parts from the crud inside before adding new oil.

But... to answer the question, yes... it's possible to remove the oil seals with out full disassembly if you can grab the seals to pull them out with something. A screw carefully screwed into them can give you leverage to pull them out. Just be real carefull to not screw into any other hard parts to cause dmg.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thank you Krey.
      Good point on the oil, I may as well give them a good clean out at the same time.
      sigpic
      "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

Working...
      X