Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neutral light not always on

hello my name is Will
    i have a slight issue with my bike.
    OK , so the deal is i have a 2003 katana 600. the neutral light is on while in neutral after it has sit for a min like over night. But once i take it out of neutral to ride the light won't come on any more when put in neutral, until it has sit overnight or a couple hours again. does anyone have a ideal what this could be.

to add to it, i checked the neutral sensor. there are three copper spots on the surface, i figure (1-n-2) when i do a continuity test on it, the center spot get's nothing from the blue wire coming out, but the outer left spot does, i grounded the blue wire leading to the instrument panel and the light came on. so i know the bulb is not blown. hope that helps explain my problem.
    Last edited by thecarter3; 09-06-2013, 07:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

oh and one more question, is oil suppose to come out when you remove the neutral sensor.

Comment

No way I am having the same problem on my 99 Kat 750! Any guidance on how to fix?

Comment

Hey Will. Shazbot Nanu Nanu.

Maybe post question in garage...I dunno.
        Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
        Ride: 2002 750F Kat
        "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

You still using glass bulbs or LEDs?

Comment

Yes, oil will come out as it's open to the crank case. The sensor has a large oring that seals off normally when mounted.

The issue sounds like the connection rod that moves when you shift is not making good contact to the sensor. I would make sure it's clean, and check for wear on both the contact point and the sensor. I would also make sure the sensor is properly mounted and seated well. The sensor/light works by grounding out to the case through this contact.

If it is making good contact, then it's possible the sensor is bad and not allowing for the ground to occur. If it's cracked or something of that nature, then when the bike is hot it may be spreading far enough to break the connection.

If you need a replacement sensor and will be buying a new one... I would suggest you go ahead and replace it with a different model that is pretty much the same price, but has sensors for all 6 gears. That way in the future if you decide you want to install a gear position indicator, your already set with the sensor for it.

GSXFjim sells the GPIs.... I'll have to look up the sensor you would need though, or Jim probably knows it.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Yes, oil will come out as it's open to the crank case. The sensor has a large oring that seals off normally when mounted.

The issue sounds like the connection rod that moves when you shift is not making good contact to the sensor. I would make sure it's clean, and check for wear on both the contact point and the sensor. I would also make sure the sensor is properly mounted and seated well. The sensor/light works by grounding out to the case through this contact.

If it is making good contact, then it's possible the sensor is bad and not allowing for the ground to occur. If it's cracked or something of that nature, then when the bike is hot it may be spreading far enough to break the connection.

If you need a replacement sensor and will be buying a new one... I would suggest you go ahead and replace it with a different model that is pretty much the same price, but has sensors for all 6 gears. That way in the future if you decide you want to install a gear position indicator, your already set with the sensor for it.

GSXFjim sells the GPIs.... I'll have to look up the sensor you would need though, or Jim probably knows it.

Krey
              Is this 6 gear sensor plug and play or do you need to do further modifications?

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                Is this 6 gear sensor plug and play or do you need to do further modifications?

The 6 gear sensor mounts exactly the same, and can be used in place of the normal model with no problems.

The GPI is an add on unit that is plug and play with the 6 gear sensor. You only need to add a power connection or splice it into key on activated power for it to work. There is normally at least 1 accessories lead not being used that would work for that.

Badfaerie has the 6 gear sensor installed on her bike and we have the GPI from Jim (works awesome). It's temporarily un-installed atm because we are having Jim make a custom display to our specifications. The normal unit comes with a mountable LED display that works fine, but we wanted something special.

More info on it... http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...&postcount=127

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The 6 gear sensor mounts exactly the same, and can be used in place of the normal model with no problems.

The GPI is an add on unit that is plug and play with the 6 gear sensor. You only need to add a power connection or splice it into key on activated power for it to work. There is normally at least 1 accessories lead not being used that would work for that.

Badfaerie has the 6 gear sensor installed on her bike and we have the GPI from Jim (works awesome). It's temporarily un-installed atm because we are having Jim make a custom display to our specifications. The normal unit comes with a mountable LED display that works fine, but we wanted something special.

More info on it... http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...&postcount=127

Krey
                  I was wondering if this project was still around after a couple of years. This is something I will considering doing to my bike in the future. I like that challenge of these sorts of projects, so it's something I would do on my own. Knowing which sensor to use though would help.
                  First motorcycle - new project
                  1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

i just switched over the front side markers and tail light to led

Krey
                    ok thanks i'll check that out
                    Last edited by thecarter3; 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                    X