Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I 'am a petrol head, bikes cars anything that goes fast and makes a lot of noise. I built a GT40, B2000 Ute with a GTX 1800 DOHC turbo.
    I also have A Honda CB900F probably wrong bike for this forum. I'll explain.
    I was sitting around with a few mates having a beer, as you do. The subject of engine oil came up, I just go down to repco and get 10/40w for the Hornet, at that point you can't use car engine oil in a bike. Why Not? bikes have cams gears chain so on, cars have the same bits the only difference is wet or dry clutch. So I searched the net, some one on this forum seemed to know, oil companies don't want to know, yea right. so whats the difference or is there nun.
    Last edited by Hornet; 04-08-2013, 04:01 AM. Reason: to explain why I joined

Welcome to Kr!

Comment

Welcome to KR...

Comment

Welcome.
        The difference between car and bike oil is in the friction modifiers added to modern car oil. Those additives tend to coat the clutch plates and cause slipping. In other words, modern car oil works too well!

Not sure about the oil ratings in New Zealand but if they use US ASI ratings you're looking for oil rated at ASI-SF. Be careful with JASO-MA oils. Some are for wet clutches and some aren't.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Had a E-mail from Mobil on the subject of engine oils there is a difference between car oils and bikes, cars have friction additives, bikes don't, as wet clutches slip with friction inhibitors and there seems not all eggs are the same. there seems to be oils for air cooled bikes which have a wider heat range you are able to sit in traffic and it keeps up the bearing protection. supposedly all ratings are generic for oil spec's correct Me if I'm wrong

Comment

Welcome!
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
              X