X

Hello from AZ!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from AZ!

Hey guys, my name is Mason, I recently bought a 1998 Kat 600 and decided I should register here in case I need some help. The bike has 58k miles on it but is still running strong with very few problems I can see at the moment. I rode it about 300 miles over the first two days I bought it between visiting friends in Phoenix and coming back down to Yuma.

This is my second bike, the first was an old honda 450 cruiser. I am definitely much happier on this 600. Has a little more get up and go than I expected but very manageable.

I have found though, that when the bike is first started it wont idle without playing with the choke but when warmed up idles around 3k rpms. I was told this just means my carbs need to be cleaned out? I'm definitely not good with carbs, let alone four of them, so I think I will save some cash and get it done at a shop, if that is the problem. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Mason928 View Post
    Hey guys, my name is Mason, I recently bought a 1998 Kat 600 and decided I should register here in case I need some help. The bike has 58k miles on it but is still running strong with very few problems I can see at the moment. I rode it about 300 miles over the first two days I bought it between visiting friends in Phoenix and coming back down to Yuma.

This is my second bike, the first was an old honda 450 cruiser. I am definitely much happier on this 600. Has a little more get up and go than I expected but very manageable.

I have found though, that when the bike is first started it wont idle without playing with the choke but when warmed up idles around 3k rpms. I was told this just means my carbs need to be cleaned out? I'm definitely not good with carbs, let alone four of them, so I think I will save some cash and get it done at a shop, if that is the problem. Any suggestions?
    Most likely carb related, but could also be partially air/vacuum leaks related.

You will spend ALOT more $ at a shop having it done instead of doing some work yourself.

Before taking the bike to a shop for carb cleaning/rebuilt which will quote you at least $600+ consider buying a set already rebuilt for alot less. Arsenic sells them rebuilt and in much better shape than the mechanics will make yours.

Removal and installation isn't hard. Just need to sync them. Could have the local shop do that probably for not much if you already have the plastics and tank off. Or you could buy/borrow/make your own sync tool and do it's cheaply as well.

Lots of threads on how to check and find air/vacuum leaks on your bike. I would suggest checking for those before going any further.

Also confirm you have the proper air filter and airbox setup on your bike. Aftermarket parts can cause problems.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
    X