X

Never ending fixes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never ending fixes

Why do we love to torture ourselves? If you've read my first thread then you know that I am re building a completely trashed 750F. Im about ready to pull my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I originally thought " ok needs a fuel pet cock, battery, and front break cable" How wrong was I! Well I bought a Haynes book to figure out how to fix her and started in. After soldering wires cut when it was hot wired, getting the pet cock, and battery, figured I'd be done. Not so. In my workings I found the choke cable frozen solid in its sleeve. Tried to break it loose and it snapped. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    All I want is to ride her yet every inch I fix shows me 3 more that I need to work on. Oh well, I do it because I love her and I can see in my head how beautiful she'll be when the day comes that she is finished.

So far, that's nothing too major ... just a little maintenance really. If that gets you tearing your hair out you should quit bikes now before you get yourself committed. I hope you fitted a brake hose / line, not a cable - it will work better that way.

Comment

Thats nothing, easily repaired...just keep in mind 1.) Its over 20 years old 2.) it's been neglected, and now it's up to you to get her back to where she should be...keep at it, she'll pay you back.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Relax, and enjoy........The repairs and maintenance are part of the fun.

Comment

dude..a choke cable is like $12 lol. Sounds like youve got other stress an this is just adding to it. Relax man!

At least you didnt have to replace the battery, chain, sprockets, motor, wheel bearings, carbs an a bunch of tedious stuff lol. At least if your fixing it now it wont haunt you down the road when its a beautiful day an your ready to ride!
          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I know how you feel bro! laid my bike down last season...ran into a curb! Bent triple tree, forks, wheel. So I decided to replace it all and paint my bike. Also bought some stage 1 carbs, why not right. put it all together and tried to sync the carbs and my fail was epic! gave that up and put the tank on to drive it to the shop and something in the front end still isn't right. So 1,000 or so later an I'm still screwed. I'm so close to taking my .40 outside and putting 50 rounds in this money pit its not even funny!

Comment

i bought my bike for around 375, engine running. 2000 dollars, 2 engine swaps, and a TON of misc parts later, it runs "great". Still needs a tune since it hangs a bit.

Have fun. HOHOHO

Comment

I picked my 600 up and rode her 300 miles back home. she ran ruff as hell and this is what i had to do....
                1. replace choke cable as it was siezed on.
                2. replace throtle cable as it only had 1 strand left.
                3. replace front tyre
                4. replace rear tyre
                5. replace ALL wheel bearings
                6. replace headlight (coz i dropped it)
                7. replace chain.

I have bought some rear fairings and i have got them ready for spraying i am going to get front fairings and belly pan and do the same and i have just bought a set of murcury gauges to sync the carbs.

I am now skint...lol... but she is running well and handles like a dream.. roll on the new paint job...

So keep the faith bro as it is going to be worth it...

Comment

to maintain a motorcycle takes time and money , to restore a motorcycle form a shitty state .....well you get what you ask for honestly my kat was in mint condition with 16 000km and one owner when I got her, ive spent roughly 1 hour pr week just to maintain her, oil change, oil filter , air filter, chain , tire , steering bearings, wheel bearings, brake pads, brake hose, master cylinder, petcock, valve adjustment , carb tune, suspension rebuild etc.... dont foold yourself to think that a cheap bike will be as cheap to keep on the road as the price it was to get her

oh yeah I probably forgot a whole bunch of things , cam chain tensioner spring , gaskets here and there , brake caliper overhaul ......
                  Last edited by mammut89; 04-05-2013, 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement

K so this website is awesome. I was really starting to get frustrated with all the small stuff needing to be done to my kat, and I was ready to part it out. Well because of all the replys and support I kept going and its just about to run. the only thing I need is to see if any one has a engine diagram. I have tubes that are under the tank that seem to go nowhere and can't seem to find them in the haynes book. Its kinda confusing and I need a little help, its the only thing standing between me and a running kat. Oh and I found out its not a '99 Its actually a '95 750F. Is there a change in engines between 95 and 98? Just wondering if I'm gonna have to go buy a new book just to figure out these couple tubes.

Comment

You think it's bad on you, It took me 2 years to do my bike. those hoses are for drainage IE; water and over fill. run the hoses to the ground where the swing arm joins the frame.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

These "tubes"... ?

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                        X