X

New from Barbados

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Barbados

Hey I'm new to riding but not new to wanting to ride. I recently started learning to ride on my friend's cbr600 f4 and it is obviously too much for my first bike. It was his but he has now had it for 2-3 years. I frequent Miami, fl for work, so I am looking to do the msf course some time in June. I am also looking to purchase my 1st bike around that time and ship it back home. So I've been researching bikes, my top 4 are the Yamaha seca 2, suzuki gs500, ninja 500r and the gsx600f. I am 5'11" and 200lbs. I think the katana should be quite adequate for me. I'm looking for an older bike 90-00. After finding this site the katana has become more and more my first choice.

I should say I am fairly mechanically inclined, I've had a few turbocharged car projects and help my friend with his cbr 600. Also incase anyone was wondering I'm 25 years old and I don't have the need to show off lol.
    Last edited by Flipz; 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Originally posted by Flipz View Post
    Hey I'm new to riding but not new to wanting to ride. I recently started learning to ride on my friend's cbr600 f4 and it is obviously too much for my first bike. It was his but he has now had it for 2-3 years. I frequent Miami, fl for work, so I am looking to do the msf course some time in June. I am also looking to purchase my 1st bike around that time and ship it back home. So I've been researching bikes, my top 4 are the Yamaha seca 2, suzuki gs500, ninja 500r and the gsx600f. I am 5'11" and 200lbs. I think the katana should be quite adequate for me. I'm looking for an older bike 90-00. After finding this site the katana has become more and more my first choice.

I should say I am fairly mechanically inclined, I've had a few turbocharged car projects and help my friend with his cbr 600. Also incase anyone was wondering I'm 25 years old and I don't have the need to show off lol.
    Welcome! I think those are all excellent choices. I was looking at those bikes last year as well. I looked at Bandits and YZFs (Thundercats) as well. I was 28 and had no desire to speed or show off and I felt like these bikes were very forgiving for a beginner with bad throttle control. And I can attest to the Kat's forgiving nature.

I'm 6'2", 185 lbs and I am very comfortable on my '03 kat 600. I think you are on the right track.
    Extra life.

Comment

Welcome to KR - excellent choice of bike!

I wish I was in Barbados now - local weather report shows it's a bit windy but no precipitation, humidity 54%, and 29C...
      I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

Welcome to kr

Comment

Welcome!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome! Four great starter bikes there. The Kat 600 is the only one on the list that would keep you happy on open roads but on the island you might be happy with any one of them for quite a while to come.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

So I've found a kat for cheap sooner than I thought, $450 but with no title. I've found that titled frames can be bought for around $300 shipped. So I will be getting the titled frame later and transfer everything. Should be a good experience.

Comment

Since you're planning on shipping the bike out of country, you might want to take the time to check on the rules as far as titling goes. For instance, can you ship an untitled frame out of country?

Don't neglect to call the VIN for that untitled bike in to the PD to make sure that it's not stolen. It may be as simple as a lost title but Florida's known for a lot of bike thefts.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR! I agree great bike choices, like Wild-Bill says just make sure of everything before shipping. You don't want any suprises later.
                  2002 750 Kat
                  2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                  2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                  2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                  1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                  2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Flying fish and cou cou....I see you're trying to get a bike ready for Cropover, huh?

Welcome to the site.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Katana but you should really check on the suggestion made by Wild-Bill about untitled frames to avoid any unnecesary hassles in Barbados.

Shipping vehicles in most countries through out the W.I. is a hassle already, particulary one without documents. You really need to check into that.
                    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to Katriders

Comment

Shouldn't be too much of a prob. I plan to strip it right down. Then ship the parts basically.

Comment

Welcome to Kr!

Comment

Working...
                          X