X

welcome

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welcome

glad ive joined i need some help off you guys ive recently just bought a 1997 600f katana

1997 600f katana been stood 14 months, fuel lines was split ive changed them, changed battery, cleaned carbs but still nothing its cranking over ok but not firing i poured some fuel in the intakes and cranked it over it fired up for a second then cut out. Advice please on what to check next.
    Last edited by clarkie; 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

check for rust/grime in your gas tank.

acid bath or replace.

Comment

Is your fuel on? Maybe set on prime to put fuel in carbs. Btw welcome to kr! I am sure someone that's better at trouble shooting will be able to get you on your way.
      Last edited by jmd32477; 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

There are other means to derusting your tank, use the search above. I have had excellent results with the water based rust remover chemicals. Also check that the vaccum hose is on the petcock from carb 4 (Right most carb). Check the petcock for proper fuel flow, down position = on fuel only flows with a vaccum source, back = prime fuel flows freely, forward = reserve fuel flows with a vaccum source. Fill the carbs with the prime position for about 1 min then switch the ON position. Then try to start. good luck
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If you do have rust in your tank, I'd recommend electrolysis. Its far simpler than it sounds amd delivers amazing results. As for firing, check for the big three: fuel, spark, compression. Fix your tank and your carbs first, they're the least expensive to repair, and most prone to failure. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome.
            What they said although if the bike fired over when you supplied fuel directly then it's a fuel problem. First thing to try is to make sure the carbs have been primed. Turn the petcock to PRI and give it a minute or two. Then try starting using the choke and no throttle. If that doesn't work then you've got a problem.

Start troubleshooting by checking to see if fuel is available to the carbs. Disconnect the fuel lines form the petcock, attach temp lines from the petcock to a container so you don't dump fuel everywhere and turn the petcock to PRI. If fuel flows well and there isn't any sediment in it then the problem isn't the tank. Turn the petcock to ON and put a little vacuum on the vacuum line. Again, fuel should flow. A failure there and you're looking at having to rebuild the petcock. If you get sediment either way then it's time to clean the tank.

Next would be carbs. Visit carbs101 for DIY instructions or contact Arsenic for a set of rebuilts.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome.

How did you clean your carbs? Spraying them with carb cleaner won't do it.
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Apart from the foregoing it might be a good idea to check the plugs also - who knows what the previous owner did!
                I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

thanks for all your advice guys shes up and running put a new set of plugs in her last night primed the carbs and fired her up BOOM she came to life a few splutters then sorted her self out and runs smoothly. Cant wait to get back on the road now springs on its way.

Comment

Good deal man!

Comment

Damn I was gonna say some bikes won't start if ur bike is in gear and your kick stand is down lol . Welcome to KR and I'm glad you got it running .

Comment

gave her a full service yesterday now jus gotta tidy up that fairing ready for m.o.t on monday. think i need new for seals though because theres oil on the shafts ive got the seals what are they like to do and what oil do i need ?

Comment

Hit the wiki and download the manual. Read.
                          You'll need a long, 6mm allen wrench socket and I use an air-impact driver on that to break the damper bolt loose. An electric impact (screw gun) should also work and some folks have had luck just hitting the allen socket a few times with a hammer and then turning it with a plain-ol-ratchet wrench. To drive the new seals into place I use a driver I made using a 1 1/4" schedule-40 PVC coupler with the stop ridge inside filed down so it fits around the fork. I've got an adapter glued onto that for some extra weight.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Glad to hear its running.

Comment

Thanks mate just ordered the manual soon as I get it I will get it into my workshop and get them done all being well manual should come tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X