Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Katriders

Greetings,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello.

I personally do not ride a Katana. I did however pick up a 1992 GSX 600F a few days ago for my wife to ride to and from work.

She has 2 seasons of to and from work commuting on a GS500 and we both felt this was a good step up from that.

Although considerably older than the GS I find we made out pretty well. Aside from sun fade the bike is complete and runs quite strong for being 21 years old.

Can not confirm actual, but milage on the clock is at 10k. I'm doubtful its rolled over to be 110K. I am currently getting the bike ready for safe riding so I haven't actually had a chance to check the ODO. Brakes, tires, lube filter, and whatever else I can think of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

here are a few pictures of how the Katana looked when we got it home.

The only thing I've done so far was remove the Yoshi pipe and header. It was obviously not inteded for the bike as fitment was less than pleasing. Previous owner had to beat it with a hammer just to get it to clear the swing-arm and rear brake line. It also made it impossible to change the oil filter without removing the header. Since taking ownership I have added an OEM 4 into 2 header set up. The sound is ideal and more pleasing for my wife.

Anyhow, please feel free to comment and make suggestions.

Cheers

Nem

Welcome to KR! Only 10K is not that unusual for an old Kat. I got my 02 Kat with less than 4K miles. It sat in a garage from 15+ years.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to the group

Comment

Thanks for the welcome..

The only history I have of this bike is that is was a police impound. With that being said, it does leave an open mind for a neglected or abused bike.

So far fresh oil/filter, new battery and the OEM pipes and it fires and runs strong. A little loud because of a leaky header gasket, but those are on order with new brake pads and a set of tires.
        I have ridden it around the neighborhood and it feels good for its age.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome so what colour you going to paint it ?

Engelskmannen.
              Carpe Jugulum...
              1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes.

My wife really likes the red, so I may end up just renewing the color it is? Although during our search for a bike we did come across the Kat that is black and purple... that one she really liked.

Once the bike is in good riding condition I'll focus on how it looks.

The Dust seals on the forks are in need replacing... should I also replace the fork seals? There isn't any major signs of leaking. Some residue on the right fork but thats it. I'm not opposed to refreshing the forks if they need it.

Thanks again

Cheers

Nem

Comment

Yup, mine is black and purple (see my signature)
                      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

that is the one!

In the end I'll let her choose the color. Just want to get her on it and riding!

Curious KatanaGSX92,

Do you ride the Busa? Some day that may be what I end up with. I sold my K3 1000 last year, and am looking at getting another from a friend for a trade. But ultimately I see myself on a Busa!! If anything the size of the bike would fit me bettter. Although the K3 and K4 model liter bike do fit well.
                        Last edited by Nemisus; 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Welcome!
                          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome and good luck! If your doing the fork seals do the fluid also
                            Ride like it's your last ride
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you Darkfury,

This might sound like a foolish question, but other than fluid leaking or residue on the forks how can I tell if I need to replace. I only question as the Dust seals are clearly needing replaced.... Just want to do it all at once.

Thanks again for the advice and welcomes

Cheers

Nem

Comment

Working...
                              X