Hello Katriders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Katriders

Hi,

I bought myself a '98 GSX750F a few months ago. Other than a 20 minute test ride and the 30 minute ride to get it to a storage location its been locked up in a garage since November 2012.

Now that I have some free time I thought it may be a good idea to go up (its stored 20 miles from where I live) and give it a basic once over; change the fluids, check the spark plugs, brakes etc.

Cosmetically it is in extremely good condition which would suggest previous owners have given some care and attention to the bike, which is good as there was no service history documentation other than some hand written notes detailing what and when was carried out and a receipt for a new set of tyres fitted in July '12. I've checked the MOT history and other than an advisory / fail in 2007 for worn brake front brake pads the bike has been clear since then.

Picked up a Haynes manual and other bits and bobs I may need over the last month or so, but could do with a couple of questions answering;

What size of socket will I need for the spark plugs (toolkit missing), and roughly what is the ground clearance between the oil drainage bolt (after removing lower fairing) and ground with bike on center stand?

The bike has circa 50,000 miles on it, and as I remember everything sounded and felt smooth for the time I was on the bike, but is there anything I should also check? I don't plan on taking back on the road until the weather improves, so have a good few months to work my way through things.

Hope to see you around the forums,

default.

Welcome to KR! Check is the chain and sprockets. Make sure the teeth aren't worn down and that the chain isn't rusted or have any links that are kinked. Make sure that the chain is adjusted properly. You can also download a service manual from the Wiki on this site.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

the spark plug socket is an 18 MM. my choke / starter cable just broke so you may want to check that out as well. i would run a few tanks with the sea foam additive if iits available in the UK. welcome to KR
      im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Welcome to KR!

+1 to what was already mentioned also check tires for uneven wear and preasure before riding, all lights(head lights, signal lights and dash lights).
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

hi KatanaGSX92 : Checked, they are good condition, if a little dirty.

ratgti : what is sea foam, what is is purpose?

Thanks dano68

Comment

you put an oz of seafoam for every gallon of gas you put in your gas tank and it helps clean the carbs when you run your bike

Comment

Welcome to KR!
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome

Engelskmannen.
                Carpe Jugulum...
                1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Welcome!!!

Comment

greetings and x2 on the seafoam
                    96 GSX750 Katana , 88 GSX600F

Comment

Seafoam seems to be quite hard to source in the UK at a reasonable price. There are 'redline' products that claim to do the same, ie fuel additive that helps flush carbs.

Would these suit?

Comment

Welcome to Kr

Comment

Can you find Berryman B-12 Chemtool? That's the same stuff I soak carb bodies in and it's available here in a small can for adding to the fuel.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            Can you find Berryman B-12 Chemtool? That's the same stuff I soak carb bodies in and it's available here in a small can for adding to the fuel.

Not too sure, but will certainly have a look for it.

I can buy 'SeaFoam' for about £18 pounds delivered ( circa 28 usd).

Comment

Working...
                            X