Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Newbie from San Clemente, CA with new project!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from San Clemente, CA with new project!

Hi!

I have never worked on motorcycles before! I think I have just joined what seems to be a very active forum! Right off the bat I want to THANK Katrider, Keith Bender for his Carb 101 post and for e-mailing me his Carb 101 document.

I have recently purchased a 1990 Suzuki Katana 600 project bike that had been parked for three years . (An item that has always been on my bucket list!) The caveat: My wife who is vehemently opposed to me owning and riding motorcycles ( I do own and ride another bike) has agreed to do the Motorcycle Safety Course, get her M1(Many years ago she owned and rode a 250cc to school) and do ONE ride only to a destination on completion of my project!!!! Talk about pressure to do a good job on the bike. People who know my wife say I have already achieved the impossible by getting her to commit!

I am three weeks into my project and got the bike as a non starter with no assurances that it was sound or that it would run. So far I have a) stripped the few pieces of broken plastic fairing off the bike, b) dismantled, cleaned and reassembled the carburetors (have never done anything like this in my life before!) and c) removed the front brake assembly for servicing/rebuild and also removed the headlight assembly for replacement and painting.

MY ACHIEVEMENT!: Having followed Keith's Carb 101 instruction, I proudly put the carbs back on the bike, hooked up an auxiliary gas tank, changed the oil, filter, spark plugs and put in a new battery. VOILA!!!!! My bike started on the second attempt!!! She ran sweetly and idled smoothly albeit a little on the rich side. I now have the confidence to move forward with a little help from my friends in this forum(bear in mind I have NO mechanical experience and have NEVER done anything like this before) to complete this item on my bucket list !! I am really excited about moving on with this project and welcome any advice or tips from fellow Katriders!

Attached are two "before" pictures and hopefully in the near future I will be able to post a picture of my completed project!!

Regards
    Milton
    Attached Files

Welcome to the farm........ forum........ some of us are normal.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      Welcome to the farm........ forum........ some of us are normal.
      Depends on what you consider normal.......:bunny2

Welcome to KR! Good luck with the project
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome and good luck with your new project

Engelskmannen.
        Carpe Jugulum...
        1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Welcome to KR and congratulations on your motorcycle mechanical baptism! That's a monumental acheivement for someone who has never rebuilt a set of carbs before and to have brought the girl back to life as a result!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

welcome , interesting paint scheme.
            96 GSX750 Katana , 88 GSX600F

Comment

Welcome to KR. Sounds like you've done one heck of a job.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Comment

One year anniversary! Bike complete!

Hi Everyone!

It has been blood, sweat and beers, but finally I have something that resembles a 600 Kat! A year ago I introduced myself and started on my bucket-list project, namely to tackle a project where I have no skill and prior knowledge and see it through completion from cradle to grave using the internet as my only source of help. Once completed, the goal was to sell the bike as I would have met my goal. Well....here are the pictures of the end result....I am going to have a hard time parting with the bike....besides, what am I going to tinker with, where else will I be able to solve my frustration with a beer and a good looking bike as a reward....you guys and gals be the judge....

Katriders was a HUGE resource, and everytime I reached a dead end, it was back to the forum to search for advice! Thank you to all who post the invaluable tips, links and detailed procedures to solve almost any problem on a Kat, your pioneering saved me countless hours of blood sweat and beers!
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice job! You paint it yourself?
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Looks great..
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Fantastic job! I do have a little experience working on some stuff and garbs terrify me. With these people around I know that I will be learning a lot and will end up a diy guy. Best of all is it helps me to share time with my 11 year old son that wants to work on his bike also.

Comment

Yes, painted it myself too, also upholstered the seats myself too.

Comment

Welcome to KR!!! Nice job looks very good....

Comment

Working...
                          X