Baby Blue Katana Chic... Needs some advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Blue Katana Chic... Needs some advice

:repostHey everyone ,
    My name is Stephanie and this past summer I got my first bike... a 93 katana 600. It was in pretty rough shape cosmetically, but that was no big deal at first since my main goal was to just get accustumed to riding a bike at that time. Since then I got some plastic from a friend really cheap , which was in fair shape , although it was frankensteined together with zip-ties. As everyone knows plastic can be fairly expensive so I bought a plastic welder and after many days of sanding and plastic welding I pulled off getting the frankensteined plastic to look pretty good. I got some House of Colors paint and some three part clear coat which I added some Dry Pearl to and sparayed it all as an amature painter... All and all for my first attempt at painting anything with a gun everything worked out great! I LOVE the color of my plastic and when I am back to riding it I am going to be smiling from ear to ear!!! Here comes the headache ... So I didn't spray my tank untill last so I could ride it as long as possible, and when I did take it off to spray it I took some plastic and covered up the pitcock and any and all openings before hand to try to keep any grime from getting into the line connections. taped it all up of course too ! while my tank was off I put new plugs in it and also noticed that the little vent things on the carbs didnt have caps on all of them and was told that they all must be capped to tune it correctly. The guy I bought the bike from said he did not have a sync tool but he had done the best he could at getting it tuned. So I put the little rubber caps on all the vent things. and thought I would see how things went!!! well needless to say my buddy (who knows enough about bikes) came to help me get it running again to see how things went. so to make a long story short ... it didnt want to fire up like it had before the paint job... after putting a new starter and battery on it to make sure I was getting the sparks I needed she started up, it was kinda sputtery at first but then it ran at high idle for a little while longer then choked out. ten seconds later gas began to leak from the bottom ...which I was told by my buddy meant that one of the floats were sticking ... To make sure we verified all of the vacume lines, fuel lines, and drain lines were hooked up correctly. Now this is where I am at ... I got some seafoam and put in some gas to try to clean the carbs and it seemed to help... the bike will start up and run but since I put the caps and the new plugs in it the air fuel/vacume is not totally correct..we adjusted the idle and my buddy tinkered around with what I guess are the adjustment screws on the sides of the carbs ... he just did it by ear since he has been doing this for many years...He didnt get it all the way right though and since he is busy himself he said he needed to try to adjust them a little more after taking it up the road. I am dying to ride my beautiful newly painted bike before it gets all the way cold ... so can anyone give me any tips on how to adjust this myself so that I can ride !!!??????? PLEASE any suggestions would be great !!!!!!!!!!

remove the carbs, disassemble them, clean them thoroughly, then re-install, synch and tune. It's the only right way to do it.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

before the paint job and blue is after ... i will get a better pic of the blue once its running good and I get it all cleaned up and out in the sun!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by snstepro; 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
        remove the carbs, disassemble them, clean them thoroughly, then re-install, synch and tune. It's the only right way to do it.
        +1^
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Sweet colour!!!!! Now....do what Teddy said.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

And welcome to KR!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

I like the original color personally.

Comment

Originally posted by c-rod90 View Post
                I like the original color personally.
                Ditto.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

welcome to KR... we have a carb 101 thread that will walk you through step by step on the carb process
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

thanks everyone I will do my best at the carbs ...its worth a shot and Im sure I can handle it!,,, thanks again.

Comment

You did a heck of a job with the paint for the first time out.

Comment

Did you try wetsanding and buffing it? Looks good for a first time but a bit flat

Comment

Working...
                        X