X

Hi, from an old guy with an old Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, from an old guy with an old Katana

Hi, everyone. I got myself a '93 Katana 750 and I am in the process of setting it up for winter riding here in Wichita KS.

I saw this ad. on craigslist and thought I could use them.

For Sale: two brand new Bridgestone Sport tires. These were taken off brand new bike and have zero miles.
    The front one is a Bridgestone Battlax BTO 23 f. Size 120/70 ZR 17.
    The rear one is a Bridgestone Battlax BTO 23 r. Size 160/60 ZR 17.
    Both tires for $130.00.

Any ideas from experienced Katriders?
    Last edited by royboy_46; 10-21-2012, 09:35 PM.

Welcome to KR! Not a big fan of Bridgestone Battleax tires. In my experience, they have a tendency to "cup" in the tread area as they wear. Some people like them. Google them and see what you find.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

If you're gearing the bike up for winter.....see if you can find a tire that warms up quickly....or needs little warm up whether dry or wet. I'm not sure if they have Q2's for a Kat. I ran MetZ6's on the Kat and they were great, but Q2's are even better based on my current ride. Check out the specs/opinions of any tire out there.....and go from there.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

If they have them in your size, I highly recomend mich pr3 tires. Can't say yet how well they will do in freezing weather, but I did drive in pouring rain when it was 38 degrees, bike had no problem cruising at 80mph in WY last week, these tires are real good in the wet! I am looking forward to riding with them this winter when the temps drop down to single digits (I have them on my C14).
        These tires make a good reason to swap out the 16" hoops on my '91 katana 1100 for 17" rims.

Comment

I wouldn't touch used tires with my worst enemy's prick. Look for a set of Metzler z6's or (my current favorite) Michellin Pilot Road 2s. I'm a real big fan of the dual-compound tires. You get the higher mileage of the hard-compound tires from the strip in the center of the tire and the grip of the softer tires from the softer compound at the edges of the tires. Add to that the fact that the PR2s are the only tire I've ever used that felt grippy right from the start (without any break-in to wear off the slime from manufacturing) and you've got a sure-fire winner.

Tires are a really big deal on a motorcycle. Much bigger than with a car. You've only got two tires connecting you to the road so that's not the place to cut corners.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've always heard michellin's are better tires but I've got a 600 with the BT203's. I've put just about 5000 somethin miles on them and are still in really good shape. Lots of tread left. Never a problem with them cruising down the road or tearing up some twisties. Pretty satisfied with them.

Comment

i'll be going dual compound when the time comes . right now im running a conti-motion on the front and a shenko raven on the back . the shenko was an emergency purchase and the only tire the shop had that would fit my bike .the rear was showing threads and i was unaware of it . that and the shop is 5 minutes from the house.
              im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

I've been running the PR2's for almost 33K miles (first set retired @ 18K, current set @ 15K+). As stated previously, these tires are excellent for traction, and mileage. I've ridden in downpours, twisties, etc, and these are the best I've had on my Kat - and she's at 84K. I can't comment on the PR3's but will probably shoe up the ZZR with a set shortly.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
                X