X

Taking a break from VW's...katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a break from VW's...katana?

Hello folks, it's been a few years since I've had a motorcycle on the road and I was starting to get a little too jealous of people I saw ridding around all summer. For the past few years I've been knee deep in modified VW's (old watercooleds to be precise) but I've wanted to work on something simpler lately so I though I would pick up a lightly wrecked sport touring bike to commute to work and take weekend trips with.
    Long story short two weeks ago I bought a 94 750 katana whose previous owner decided to put the bike in a ditch instead of taking the life of an innocent beagle. The bike has been sitting for about 6 months and the picture pretty much says it all.

So far I've heard it turn over, did an oil change to be safe and did hear it sputter once or twice which was encouraging but it would not start. I pulled the carbs the other night and dropped the bowl and pulled out the slides, it all looked very clean and didn't smell at all of varnish or bad gas. I re-installed the carbs and manually held the choke on, (after I noticed that there was no cable and assumed that was causing the no start). Unfortunately I was still unable to get it to start. I pulled the plug, which looks like it's been there since the dawn of time and was getting a little spark, but I'm going to replace them and see if that helps.
    Once I get it running I'll be on the hunt for fork caps, or maybe a complete used set of forks, as well as a GS500 headlight or perhaps a pair of early gsxr headlights for lighting. I believe I'll paint it white with some dark bronze accent pieces, or at least that's what my imagination is leaning towards.
    At any rate, I figured I'd introduce myself to you folks. This place seems very tame and helpful compared to the VW sites. It's a nice change of pace to read threads with well written intelligent responses to problems.
    Any comments or pointers will be gladly accepted,

Welcome! Check ebay for forks... problem sounds like a carb issue. I know they look clean but you need to make sure you do more than just soak or scrub. Hows the battery too?

Comment

Originally posted by IndyGunner View Post
      Welcome! Check ebay for forks... problem sounds like a carb issue. I know they look clean but you need to make sure you do more than just soak or scrub. Hows the battery too?
      Battery is in decent shape, bike turns over fine and for quite a while before I need to give it a little re charge.
      I'm leaning towards a carb issue as well. I kind of got excited when I noticed the choke cable wasn't in 1 piece and let my optimistic side take over. I'll most likely end up doing a full tear down of the carbs in the next couple days, letting the jets soak overnight and what not to be sure everything is really super clean inside.
      As for ebay on the forks...Sometimes living in Canada has it's disadvantages, shipping charges can be a real killer.

Comment

U can manually choke it by pulling out on the rail.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome to kr

Comment

welcome to KR. sounds like carbs are part of it. but also by the sounds of it you may need a battery too. or at least fill/charge it properly. they are battery ignition, which in layman's terms means that the battery turns the engine over AND powers the ignition. if it only has enough to turn it over the ignition wont fire

good luck and keep us updated
              if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Welcome!
                You can check the battery condition with a volt-meter. You want to see more than 12v at the battery terminals and around 11v at the battery when cranking the starter. If that's good then check voltage at the coils. With the ignition on and the engine not running you should have at least 10v there. If the battery is good but the coil voltage is low then you want to mod the electrical system to power the coils straight from the battery through a relay (triggered by the original coil wires).
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

welcome to KR . are these guys good or what ?
                    im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Welcome, like your ride. Good luck with her issues. I would also suggest checking the condition of your plug wires. If the ends are dry/stiff/brittle, they could be trimmed back and reattached.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys and the welcomes. Looks like I will be busting out the old multimeter to check the ignition out some more. The wires seem in decent shape, not overly dry. I'm picking up new plugs tonight so I'll tackle the diagnostics tomorrow.
                        Last edited by wanabusa; 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Spent some time working on the bike today. It now has great fire. Battery is full charge and good voltage at the coils. Pulled the carbs and did a full clean, short of breaking the four apart after all that I get a steady almost start. Just doesn't sound like it's firing on all cylinders. Tomorrow I'll play with it some more and see if I can't get it to finally fire up.

Comment

Welcome to KR !

Before you fire it up anymore and potentially dirty up all your carb cleaning, have a good check inside the fuel tank for any rust or other rubbish that could potentially foul up everything you just spent time on.....
                            Wouldn't be the first person that has happened to !
                            My country is the world...... my religion is to do good.

Comment

Working...
                            X