X

Just got my first bike, 1990 Katana 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my first bike, 1990 Katana 750

Hello everybody, I'm Adam. I just recently bought my first bike, a 1990 GSX 750F. It's not in the greatest shape ever, but I was looking for something to work on and learn from. I paid $1200 for it (with 23,xxx miles), probably way overpaid, but oh well. It's mine and I like it. It needs some work but I'm looking forward to it. I don't really know much about bikes, but I can learn. The first thing I bought was the Haynes manual. So far, the only thing I've replaced is the rear tire. I've bought new rear rotors and pads, which were badly worn. I've also taken the fairings off, mainly to prevent damage while I learn to ride (I already dropped it once while moving it). I also have the tank off at the momemt while I work on it. Anyways, I'm looking forward to riding and learning about my bike from all of you. Cheers.
    Attached Files

Cool. Congrats on the new bike. I'm glad you got a manual. You also have a free one on this websight- just look at wiki manuals. You did good for a first bike- cheap. A cheap bike is best for learning because everyone (almost) drops theirs once or twice or a few times or often (LOL). It's a challenge to find a good running bike near a grand. You did good.
    1998 Suzuki GSX750 Katana
    1980 Suzuki GS450ET
    1977 Honda XL125

Comment

congrats. welcome to the madness that is riding. wear your gear all the time.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks. Gear is a definite for me, although I have yet to get any. NBD, since my bike is not running at the moment anyways. It was when I got it, now it won't start. But that's another post for another day. I'm really anxious to get it going again.

Comment

Since you're a new rider- I'll give you one piece of good advice....whenever you put your helmet on your head- immediately buckle it up good and tight. If you get in that habit, you won't put you're helmet on and forget to buckle it. Unbuckled, a helmet will come right off! Don't ask how I know this...just get in that habit. Helmet on and buckled!
          1998 Suzuki GSX750 Katana
          1980 Suzuki GS450ET
          1977 Honda XL125

Comment

Congrats. I got my first bike last month; an '03 kat, which I purchased for $2,200 and I think I probably should have only paid maybe $1,800 in hindsight, given the issues it had that I didn't know about because I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

But, as put it, it's mine and I like it. Besides, we have bikes now. The couple hundred spent now is probably nothing to the $$$ that will be spent on mods, upgrades and other sorted tinkering.

You definitely picked the right place to start, which is this website and the service manual. I have learned SO MUCH from using that search button and I have plently more to learn. The knowledge on this forum really blows me away.
            Extra life.

Comment

Welcome, Adam!
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome, I am new to the Katanas myself, bought mine about 1 1/2 months ago, and have ridden it a total of 15 miles. since then I have torn it down and have been bringing it back up. Got a snag the other night as my FIL had a stroke, so I have to find someone to help me finish the mechanics.

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

welcome, its a great site
                    im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Noodles, sorry to hear about your FIL. Hope all is well.

Comment

Welcome!
                        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR....Forums are a great place for help...Noodles wishing your FIL all the best....
                          2002 750 Kat
                          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                            X