X

Newbie rider new to Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie rider new to Kats

I've recently started learning how to ride and looking at getting a 96 Kat 600. Have been told that it may be to much for a starter and I should get a 250. Yet on the other hand I've been told I will grow tired of a 250 VERY QUICKLY. I'm not a little guy 5'11" 272 and plan on keeping what ever I get for atleast two seasons. The Kat I'm looking at has a little under 20K and he is asking 1500 it rides strong and doesnt knock but I couldnt really open it up on the guys street. Let me know what you guys think the guy said he wont sell it and hold for me until the 15th. I really like the bike all in all but don't want to bite of more than I can chew...

A Kat makes a perfectly good starter bike. I'd actually suggest you look around for a 750 just because you're a big guy. The 750s are a little roomier. Other than that, if the 600 you're looking at is in nice shape then that's not a bad price.

Starting with a 250 is great if you live in town and plan on selling the bike in 6-12 months. Other than that, it just won't have enough power to be comfortable at highway speeds. My opinion is that starting on that small of a bike will actually slow down your learning. I wouldn't suggest starting with a 1000 or even a GSXR or CBR600 but a Katana is pretty mild even at 600 or 750ccs.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for the responce Bill been looking around for different things but cant find to many Katanas here in Ohio but what I can find is either WAY OVER PRICED. But I have time so Im keeping my eye open.

Comment

A katana if a pretty forgiving bike. I hadn't riden for years then picked up my 750. After putting on 6000 km, I'm really glad I didn't go smaller as I find my Kat just right. Good luck on the search.
        2004 Honda ST1300
        1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

i rode enduro's for years(10) so im not completely new to street riding but im glad i got the 750 as my first " real street bike". its mild and forgiving . im not into riding fast so i just putt around. but there is no law about how fast you can get to 65. the 750 screams when you want it to . thats what i like , having the power if you NEED it . id go with the bigger bike since you are a bigger guy.
          im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Thanks for the responce guys I have kept my eyes open and found a 93 Kat for 1300 and a 95 r6 for 1700 so Im still searching....

Comment

I have a 98 kat and about 217lb and love my bike. Do not go with a 250. Just like everyone says, 600 or 750.

Comment

Good luck in the search. I've got 600 and love it. Ok for you but 750 would be little more built for you. Stick with the Kats. Their nice bikes.

Comment

Working...
                X