X

Looking to get a Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a Kat

I have been looking for a Kat and I fond one locally and don't know if it's worth pursuing or not. It hasn't been inspected for a couple of years, it def needs a min of brakes, tires, prob new brake hoses. A few cosmetic issues. But it's hard to tell what the bike is actually worth. I'm a handy guy and love to work on bikes, but I don't want to get stuck with dumping too much into a bike.

What are the best things to look for and the things that are deal breakers to avoid? The bike I'm looking at is a 96 GSX750F.

hard to say really. but a bike that old has probably been hammered. hard to saY without hands on/ being there.
    im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Watch second gear. Kats in general tend to lose second gear if they're hammered too hard. Comes from less than firm shifting under heavy acceleration. People miss second because they have to go through neutral and if they're hammering on it it's pretty easy to grind up second.

I had idle issues with my '96 750 until I gave the carbs a complete going-over (see Carbs 101 in the wiki to see what that involves) and replaced the o-rings between the intake boots and the head. the bike came to me with blown fork seals from being strapped down too tight in the bed of a truck.

The only other issue I ever had was probably mechanic-caused. One of the valve adjuster lock-nuts came loose and allowed a valve to get hit by the piston. I lost compression in that one cylinder and had to get the head completely rebuilt. Wasn't too bad a job but it cost me about $200 in gaskets, etc.

Other than that, it was a great bike. Only reason I ever let it go was that I found an 1100 for a price I couldn't pass up. Post a photo. Maybe it's my old bike!
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

As they say, it depends. I'd be careful if you're not willing to really break the bike down. It could have major issues. Personally, I'd put up a little more money for something in better shape. You don't want to spend your entire riding season trying to make the bike road-ready.
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up getting this bike and it needs a lot of attention. I love tearing into them and I knew this bike needs a lot of TLC so I still have a 73 CB350F I Cafe'd and can still ride while I get this bike in good order. Thank goodness for this forum and the knowledge that everyone contributes. I will be utilizing the forums frequently to resolve all the issues I find with this bike.

Comment

And Welcome to KR!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR enjoy the build and the ride.

Comment

If you check all relevant itens fork, electric system, engine there will be no problem kat engine its really amazing, also with forun assistance you can solve all problems that may have
                I live in Brasil and here rides just like Honda bikes its difficult to find Suzuki informations and pieces for you have an ideia Suzuki here has a joint venture with a company named J.Toledo if they don't have pieces for a 10 Srad in stock can you imagine for a 95 Kat like mine. I've joined the forun las days and was checking informations in the wiki link its AMAZING the quantity of informations and I've already bought some stuffs in e-bay that I never could found here so can you imagine how happy am I to get foun this forun

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                  "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X