X

Greetings! Pop-up owner in Michigan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings! Pop-up owner in Michigan

Hey all! I've been hoping to find a good forum-based community for these things. Hopefully there's enough North America owners around to have a get-together or something in the future.

My name's Brian, and I own a 1985 Katana 750 and an '82 Katana 1000. Gammarider on here found the 750 for me back in '99, and I can't thank him enough. I fell in love with the looks of the pop-up back in about '88 or '89 while thumbing through a Tamiya model catalog when I was a freshman in high school. Little did I know at the time they weren't ever available in the US.

In the last 13 years of owning the bike, I've gone through a few rounds of modifications. Currently it rides on TL1000R forks and wheels and a custom-fabbed swingarm. Other goodies are a modified Yoshimura pipe, Fox Shocks rear shock, K&N filter pods, Wiseco 816cc pistons, Koso gauge cluster and a few minor tweeks like GSXR rearsets and frame bracing.

I'm currently working out a few bugs and loose ends and enjoying it for the season as-is. This winter, I plan on blowing it all apart to tie up some more loose ends and redo all the cosmetic stuff. Need to fix the dent in the tank and repaint the frame and bodywork. Still debating keeping the wheels black or going red-orange to match the lettering on the bike.

Pics from a year or so ago:

The 1000 is an all orginal, low mileage bike that just needs some minor cosmetic work, and a couple mechanical things.

A pic from a couple years ago, after doing quite a bit of cleanup, including repainting the nose fairing and carefully removing a black two-tone on the tank, preserving the original silver paint. I've since added the front turn signals, again thanks to Gammarider for that!

Brian Rogers
    '85 Katana 750, lots of mods
    '82 Katana 1000, all stock
    http://www.rupelli.com

Damn, that is so fine looking. Exellent job man.
    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

i'm LOVING that pop up!! it looks awesome with the hints of modern tech. on it..

correct me if im wrong, because i probably am, but werent suzukis back then 1100? not 1000? i dont know much about the older kats but its still a sweet bike
      if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Timeless beauties! Welcome to KR!
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome from NC!!! Nice looking classics

Comment

wow . those are some sweeeeeeet scooters
            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Nice looking bikes you have there. Welcome to KR!
              04 SRT-4 with toys / 00 Katana 600 / 67 Mustang-Sold/ 88 Mustang-Sold / 92 Mustang-Sold / 97 Mustang-Traded

Comment

Originally posted by Rupelli View Post
                Hey all! I've been hoping to find a good forum-based community for these things. Hopefully there's enough North America owners around to have a get-together or something in the future.

My name's Brian, and I own a 1985 Katana 750 and an '82 Katana 1000. Gammarider on here found the 750 for me back in '99, and I can't thank him enough. I fell in love with the looks of the pop-up back in about '88 or '89 while thumbing through a Tamiya model catalog when I was a freshman in high school. Little did I know at the time they weren't ever available in the US.

In the last 13 years of owning the bike, I've gone through a few rounds of modifications. Currently it rides on TL1000R forks and wheels and a custom-fabbed swingarm. Other goodies are a modified Yoshimura pipe, Fox Shocks rear shock, K&N filter pods, Wiseco 816cc pistons, Koso gauge cluster and a few minor tweeks like GSXR rearsets and frame bracing.

I'm currently working out a few bugs and loose ends and enjoying it for the season as-is. This winter, I plan on blowing it all apart to tie up some more loose ends and redo all the cosmetic stuff. Need to fix the dent in the tank and repaint the frame and bodywork. Still debating keeping the wheels black or going red-orange to match the lettering on the bike.
                Hey Brian,

Always nice to hear from you. Glad to see you made it. To anyone interested ...This guy is capable of doing anything. Just look at what he did to that pop-up.
                Gammas and Katanas

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Boomer, I'm still not totally clear on why some of the early Katanas are 1000cc instead of 1100cc. Some have said it was homologation for racing or something like that. It's certainly a 1000 though.

Hey Paul, it's nice to find a spot like this! The Yahoo group was nice for its time, but a real forum is so much better. How are your bike projects coming?

And if anyone's wondering about the name, it's the last name of my comic character, Marcello Rupelli. This guy here: http://marcellorupelli.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4jkobf

The comic itself, if anyone's bored: http://www.rupelli.com
                  Brian Rogers
                  '85 Katana 750, lots of mods
                  '82 Katana 1000, all stock
                  http://www.rupelli.com

Comment

Welcome to KR. those are some nice lookiing bikes. You seem to be good at photography as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X