X

first time on forum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time on forum

Hi, This is my first time on forum. I bought my son a 95 Katana 600 last year and the bike got backed over by his uncle. son wanted to make it into a street fighter for this summer, so of we went with no mechanical skills what so ever. I have a Harley, but love all bikes and really enjoy riding the Katana.

My question is we changed the exhaust to a 92 gsxr 750. they fit, the only problem I am having is I used gsxr seals, exhaust plates and the flanges. I cant fit the exhaust plates in flush to tighten the flanges down tight, and am getting a small leak. Am I supposed to use a different kind of exhaust plate? thank you
    Last edited by uki; 05-11-2012, 06:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Welcome to KR - one of our guru's will probably chime in shortly and provide you with the answer to this question.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by uki View Post
      Hi, This is my first time on forum. I bought my son a 95 Katana 600 last year and the bike got backed over by his uncle. son wanted to make it into a street fighter for this summer, so of we went with no mechanical skills what so ever. I have a Harley, but love all bikes and really enjoy riding the Katana.

My question is we changed the exhaust to a 92 gsxr 750. they fit, the only problem I am having is I used gsxr seals, exhaust plates and the flanges. I cant fit the exhaust plates in flush to tighten the flanges down tight, and am getting a small leak. Am I supposed to use a different kind of exhaust plate? thank you

The exhaust flanges shouldn't toucht he motor... they should seat against the tips of the downtubes though pressing them into the engine block.

It's recomended to replace exhaust gaskets each time to remove them or you may have leak issues.

With the swap you may also find that the bolts are simply too long (or short). Different headers may need differnt bolts. If I remember right, the aftermarket always seemed to need shorter bolts for me.

So... replace the exhaust gaskets, seat the headers... and get new bolts if needed to get everything tight.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR from NC!!!

Comment

welcome fro athens GA..
          im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

welcome to KR, regards from Chitown!
            - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

Welcome!
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Thanks, I will give it another try.

Comment

Working...
                X