MotoGuzzi to Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MotoGuzzi to Katana

Hello all,

I just bought my first bike, and it happens to be a 96 katana. (i have a few years of experience on a MotoGuzzi Breva 750 and a Ural Gear Up) So far the bike is great, I will get the title transferred tmrw, but cant ride for a week until rain clears up.
    I had a few questions that I was hoping could be answered. The bike came with 22,000 miles on it, it sounds good and rides fine, but there area a few problems.
    1. rear tire is cracking, any recommendations for sport touring tires?
    2. Choke cable has no play, any links on how to replace?
    3. The only manual I can find online is for 98 onward, will this work?
    4. there are scratches on both fairings just in front of pegs (shown in photo), the pegs are also alittle worn, does this mean it was lean so far over the fairing scrapped?

Answer if you can. I hope to ride alot this summer, and ill post photots of the katana gear up and breva if any ones interested if anyone knows can tell me how lol

Originally posted by MotoKatana View Post
    Hello all,

I just bought my first bike, and it happens to be a 96 katana. (i have a few years of experience on a MotoGuzzi Breva 750 and a Ural Gear Up) So far the bike is great, I will get the title transferred tmrw, but cant ride for a week until rain clears up.
    I had a few questions that I was hoping could be answered. The bike came with 22,000 miles on it, it sounds good and rides fine, but there area a few problems.
    1. rear tire is cracking, any recommendations for sport touring tires?
    2. Choke cable has no play, any links on how to replace?
    3. The only manual I can find online is for 98 onward, will this work?
    4. there are scratches on both fairings just in front of pegs (shown in photo), the pegs are also alittle worn, does this mean it was lean so far over the fairing scrapped?

Answer if you can. I hope to ride alot this summer, and ill post photots of the katana gear up and breva if any ones interested if anyone knows can tell me how lol
    1. We have a tire section....lots of good stuff in there, go check it out!
    2. Yup, service manual right here: http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...ecial:AllPages
    3. See above!
    4. Don't see a photo? Try again maybe?

Welcome! Oh, the photos. Get an account at photobucket, uplod pics, paste the link with the [IMG][/IMG] tags here.

Comment

Comment

Thats a pretty nice looking pre you have there it even still has the shovel

Comment

im a newb whats a shovel?
          also the exhaust is pretty rusty directly under the bike, and there is a small located at the base of each muffler (which shots out its own exhaust) neither of these seem good, but how critical are they to replace?

Comment

Hi and welcome here.
            The pegs can be scraped while riding allthough I think it's because the bike has been dropped on one or more occasions. Is it on both sides? For sure, you don't get cracked fairings from leaning into a corner.
            A rusted exhaust with holes in it doesn't seem good to me. Might want to think about repairing/replacing that.
            There are a few good tires out there but Michelin Pilot Roads get recommended more often than not.
            Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Welcome.

The "shovel" is the rear mudguard. A lot of folks (including me) think the bike looks a lot better with that trimmed off but living in Washington you might want to leave it alone. Lots of rain there from what I remember.

As for the exhaust, there's supposed to be a small hole on the underside of each muffler. It's a drain for rainwater and condensation. The rusty collector is pretty normal. Eventually it'll get bad enough to go through the metal and then you'll want to replace the exhaust. Swapping out for a 4-1 pipe is pretty common so you can find stock systems pretty cheap on ebay or in the for sale section here.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

wow, it's still got the warning stickers on it.

Yeah, bike has been dropped to get the scraches on the sides. You can't keep the tires on the ground and scrape the fairings at the same time.

You can't adjust the "play" in the choke cable. You might want to explain a bit more what's going on there so we can try and help if it's a problem.

Pilot Road 3 tires are THE tire you want. If the rear is cracked, I would say your probably looking at needing the front too. Might as well replace them both and feel more confident about your rubber. I mean, if you pulled a condom out of a box package to find it was dried up and cracked, you going to go for another one in that box or just find a new box? .... ... Jus sayn....

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    I mean, if you pulled a condom out of a box package to find it was dried up and cracked, you going to go for another one in that box or just find a new box? .... ... Jus sayn....

Krey
                    Krey has such a way with words

Welcome to KR! One thing you'll discover is that the Kat sidestand isn't the best and more than one rider has dropped their bike while trying to dismount. You may want to get into the habit of trying to park where there's a slight incline or putting it in first gear.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome!! and ejoy your ride,looks to good!!!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders! Nice looking bike.
                          2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Welcome to KR, I would agree with Kreylyn about the Pilot Road 3's with you living in one of the wetter/rainier parts of the PNW. If you ride with a rear passenger fairly often, leave the rear fender on the bike, your passenger will greatly appreciate it in wet cold weather.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              wow, it's still got the warning stickers on it.

Yeah, bike has been dropped to get the scraches on the sides. You can't keep the tires on the ground and scrape the fairings at the same time.

You can't adjust the "play" in the choke cable. You might want to explain a bit more what's going on there so we can try and help if it's a problem.

Krey
                              Ok. the faring isnt cracked, its just scruffed plastics. The guy who I bought it from said that it might have come from trying to haul it in a cramped area? If its not from leaning over or droping I dont really care though.

Basicly the cable moves up and down, but the choke doesnt at all. After looking at it nothing seems to be attached to the external choke lever (on the left, I dont know what to call it). It seems like an easy fix, thou

Anyone know where a link to taking off the fairing would be?

Comment

Working...
                              X