New to the GSXs But not new to Suzuki

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the GSXs But not new to Suzuki

Howdy all!
    Name is Jedz and I'm introducing myself to all of you! I'm currently in the workings of adding a new set of wheels to my stable a 91 GSX600F Katana.
    I'm an avid rider and am still on the road ridding today, I ride all year around snow or not. I ride currently a 1998 Bandit 1200S modified and dyno tuned. It's a great bike and the motor is bullet proof. I put on around 20k miles a year and my B-12 has over 50k miles. I do all my own work and that's how I like it!
    I have had many Suzuki's in my past, I'm mostly familiar with the old school GS model. I had a GS750L and a GS400X. Also worked on allot of them too. I'm a senior member of the GSR forum and so I'm no rookie to how forums work. I know much about these bikes but I'm going into a bit of the unknown by buying my first GSX.
    If all goes to plan I will own my Katana by Thursday. I will have to use the search feature a bit for I do plan on doing some intake & exhaust work to really free up the ponies of the little 599cc motor(any pointers would be great!). I plan on using the Katana for weekend mountain carving rides and in city commuting (I'm guessing it get better than the 33mpg of my bandit in the city).
    So that's all i got!
    Have an awesome day guys!
    Jedz123...

1991 Katana GSX600F (WINTER PROJECT)
    1998 Bandit GSF1200S Daily rider

Welcome and good luck on your potential puchase!
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome Aboard!

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Welcome to KR! I am a member of GSR too!
          1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Nice, Welcome!

Comment

Welcome!!
              Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

Welcome to KR.
                2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

It's official!

So I picked up the bike yesterday. $500 barn find. it needs work for sure. It wont start and the culprit seems to me (right now) the CDI box for it was broken and the circuit board was just hanging off the harness. Not sure though I have to take off the fairings and really look at the carbs and plugs first. It does turn over and I have a new battery in it. Lights work, horn doesn't, chain and sprockets are in good shape. No cracks in the plastics and the motor turns over. Nice little bike needs tires and grips. Winter project she will be ready for spring!

Now some pics!

front view (don't mind the B-12 in the background)

I also tore into the air box and found a K&N air filter... It was gummed up but I have the K&N filter cleaning kit and she's all clean and back in the bike... I'm guessing this thing has a jet kit in it if it has the yoshi exhaust and K&N air filter.

Thanks for the welcomes!
                  Jedz123...

Comment

Looks like its in pretty decent shape. Let's hope it's a simple fix to get it running.
                    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

CDI is off the list of culprits. I shot a few sprays of thrust starting fluid to see if she was sparking. and she fried up and then cut out after it burned off the starting fluid.
                      Carb break down is next on my list.
                      Jedz123...

Comment

Do yourself a favor and toss the K&N. There is also no guarantee it has bigger jets in it, people are stupid

My bike came with the full Yoshi and a Uni filter with stock jetting.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I took out the carbs and the carbs are atrocious. Varnish and crystals in the bowls... Slides stuck, it's a project! I'm tearing them down now and cleaning/dipping them. I'll start a new thread with pics if anyone is interested...

The mains are not Mikuni mains, they look to be Dyno Jets. The needles have multiple clip notches too, also not a stock Mikuni thing...
                          I'm pretty sure this bike ways jetted correctly.
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM.
                          Jedz123...

Comment

From what I have been told on here, the dynojet needles eat emulsion tubes I believe. I was told to run different jet kits. (Someone chime in on the best?)

Looks like a fun project! Have fun with it.
                            1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

I had a dj kit in my 600, good luck eliminating the flat spot and lean vibes from 5-7k.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X