new kat riders member-

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new kat riders member-

hey everyone
    my name is nate-im 22- i just picked up my first bike- a blue 2000 katana! I rode a 600 radian for about six months-been ridin all around asheville and a few states. The katana has always caught my eye as the next step in my motorcycling career and now ive got one.

Im plannin on workin on it a bit- the bike has 9700 miles on it and during the test drive seemed to run just fine. The only thing i have noticed is it idles at around 1000-1100 rpms and seems just shy of smooth runin(at idle)- but while accelerating and higher rpms i dont notice any hesitation and runs just fine. So i have been researchin a bit(my knowlege is limited i am not a mechanic) and seems that this low idle can be remidied by simply adjusting a certain screw on the carbs? I loostened the fairing to investigate and did not see any screw to be ajdusted that was easily accessible. any advice?
    also the bike was obvioulsy dropped and got what looks like a shotty mako paint job to cover. The right handle bar(nothin else) is bent 3/4 inch down but i have not noticed and strange vibration or wobble while ridin at any speed. any advice on replacing that handle bar?is that somethin i could tackle my self- its really just annoyin me more than anything and it rubs against the fairing at full turn. saw some handle bars for about $35.
    im going to paint the bike black or maybe a gunmetal grey. not sure yet- might even do dark maroon with black ghost skulls on the tank(im a tattoo artist) a friend of mine does body / paint-
    ANY ways look forward to hearing some advice from those more experienced with these bikes
    thx nate_

Welcome to KR! Let's see some pictures of your bike. Is it a 600cc or 750cc?

On my '92 Kat the idle screw was on the left side (while sitting on the bike), if I remember correctly...it's been a while. Its attached to the carbs. It has a knurled end that you can turn with your fingers. I didn't have to loosen the fairings to get to it. Not sure on a 2000 Kat if its the same.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

idle adjuster is accessible without removing fairing on left side. black knob-twisted to right to raise idle. welcome.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome aboard
        1997 KAT 600 PROJECT

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome lets see some pictures!

Richard
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Welcome from charlotte nc

Comment

Welcome to KR from the old continent.
                The idle adjusting bolt can be accessed without removing the fairing. Directly to the right of the petcock there is an opening in the fairing. You can see a black plastic bolt that you can turn to adjust idle rpm. It's in the bottom right, at 5 o clock along the edge of the opening (on my '98 Kat). You won't need to turn it a lot.
                I've seen a lot of good advice in the short time I've been here and you'll enjoy reading the sticky's as well, as they contain a lot of valuable info.
                Enjoy the site.
                Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

1100 is about where it should idle actually. If you do adjust it, make sure it's after the bike has been riden for about 20 mins and warm.

Swapping out the handlebar is pretty simple.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

welcome
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

thx for the response!

hey everyone thanks for the response! glad to be here- that makes sense i did not check the left side just because of how it is parked in my garage lol. I talked to my girl's dad who was a mechanic and he recomended i do a few things first-such as new fuel filter, new air filter, new spark plugs and oil change before messin with things. As usual i tend to over think issues but i like to learn about these things anyways
                      Im a tinkerer what can i say

here is a pic before i washed.I had just picked it up that mornin- kind of pixely with the 280X600 pixel restriction
                      Attached Files

Comment

handle bar

are there any tutorials or reference materials that might help me dissassemble and repalce the handle bar??

Comment

Originally posted by nate189 View Post
                          are there any tutorials or reference materials that might help me dissassemble and repalce the handle bar??

Service manual available for free download in the wiki. Or drop by the house and I'll show you how in about 10 mins. Think I already sold my spare set of post bars though...

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome!!
                            Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

Working...
                            X