New to the forums, old to the bike!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forums, old to the bike!

Hello everyone!

I've had an '03 600 Katana since... well, '03. It's kinda my first and only bike, and I've put about 40k on it.

Most recently it's sat for a good two years, and I'm only now giving it the loving attention that it has deserved.

7 or so months ago I:
    - Changed oil (Castrol Synthetic)
    - Changed fuel filter
    - Changed plugs and wires
    - Changed air filter

This week I'm finally able to afford these repairs (parts purchased, work starting tomorrow!):

- Ivan's Jet kit carb upgrade
    - new sprockets (1 down in front, 2 up in back)
    - new chain
    - new bearings
    - new tires
    - new fork seals (old seals were in a bad way)

That said, does anyone recommend any additional upgrades/work I could do to help pep the bike up? Would a slip-on exhaust help any (For performance, not sound - I'm not a loud pipes guy)?

Also... I'm kinda at a loss on finding a good manual for this bike. It doesn't seem like anyone makes a shop manual for the katana 03 or later. Does anyone know of any?

Many thanks and nice to meet you.

Welcome!! You can find manuals right here on the site..just click n download. Sounds like a great start on getting your bike back on the road...good luck!
    Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

Welcome to KR
      "Burn Rubber Not Your Soul"

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Welcome from PA
          Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Yea the manual is on the site. Right now i'm working on upgrading my rear shock, there is a sticky in maintenance about rear shocks. That's one possible upgrade that comes to mind which will improve handling

Comment

Welcome!
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

welcome

blue 2001 Katana 600 - Hindle slip on, Hole shot 5 degree ignition advancer

Comment

Welcome to KR! About the only other thing to boost the pep in the Kat would be an ignition advancer. Not a huge boost, but definitely noticeable increase in pep.
                  2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                  2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

welcome, I dont see anything about brake service in your list. recomend a total rebuild after that many miles.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!

I found the manual online, I was worried at first because it covers up to '02, but apparently there's little enough difference between the '02 and '03 models that it will suffice.

Regarding the upgrades suggested, awesome. I had intended to overhaul the brakes in my next wave of work/upgrades (probably should have included it in this wave as important as they are), and the rear shocks are a great idea (mine are pretty spongy at this point).

In any case though, thanks for the welcomes, and also thanks for the advice!

Comment

Welcome to the maddness!!!!!!!!!!!
                        1992 Suzuki Katana 1127

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                          "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                          1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                          2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X