X

Carb leaking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb leaking

Alright, so i just bought my first bike a few months ago. Its a 95 Katana 600cc bored to a 750cc. The had been running great, up until about a month ago when i was riding home on a windy road and came around the corner to a truck in my lane and ended up going off the road. Tore off my left faring and broke my mirror but everything else seemed to be OK. A few days later, after it had been riding fine, it started back firing when i let off the trottle in high 3rd, low 4th gears, and a friend that happened to be following me said that he could see flames in the exauhst pipe when i shifted. My MPGs have also depleted drasticly. I have had 3 people look at it and they say that one of my carbs is dumping fuel. i looked at it and sure enough, the left carb seems to be leaking around the bottom section. I took that cap off and tried to clean it, being very careful in trying to put it all back together correctly, but its still doing the same thing. Don't have to much cash, but what should i do?

Originally posted by _KJ_ View Post
    Alright, so i just bought my first bike a few months ago. Its a 95 Katana 600cc bored to a 750cc. The had been running great, up until about a month ago when i was riding home on a windy road and came around the corner to a truck in my lane and ended up going off the road. Tore off my left faring and broke my mirror but everything else seemed to be OK. A few days later, after it had been riding fine, it started back firing when i let off the trottle in high 3rd, low 4th gears, and a friend that happened to be following me said that he could see flames in the exauhst pipe when i shifted. My MPGs have also depleted drasticly. I have had 3 people look at it and they say that one of my carbs is dumping fuel. i looked at it and sure enough, the left carb seems to be leaking around the bottom section. I took that cap off and tried to clean it, being very careful in trying to put it all back together correctly, but its still doing the same thing. Don't have to much cash, but what should i do?
    Replace a new bowl gasket?
    ]if you wanna play then pay later!!
    sigpic

Comment

after reading a few more forums from other people, i tried tapping on it with a screw diver handle and that seemed to stop the leaking. Although now it is backfiring a lot more from what sounds like the right exaust pipe but its not hot while the left isnt backfiring but it is so hot its smoking from the bottom. ideas?

Comment

Sorry to inform you, but a 600 can't be bored to a 750.

Comment

ok, well whatever it is, still backfiring...

Comment

No, it's after firing. Back firing and after firing are two very different things.

Comment

Alright... Its making a load bang while idling and im guessing that it shouldn't do that. What should i do?

Comment

It's lean, richen the A/F screws up a bit. 2.5 turns out is ideal

Comment

where are these located? and do i screw them all the way in first?

Comment

Yes, count 2.5 turns out from seated.

Comment

"The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                      1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                      2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Sorry to inform you, but a 600 can't be bored to a 750.
                        What the he'll!!!! Yeah true that!!
                        ]if you wanna play then pay later!!
                        sigpic

Comment

hmmm... well thats just what i was told when i bought it and i dont know much about bikes/engines so i just went with it. How can you tell if a bike has been bored out and if it has how can you tell what it has been bored to?

Comment

Welcome to KR... You can measure your bore width, and cross reference it to the stock bore width to see if it has in fact been bored out. But you need to take the head off.
                            "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

There are no bigger pistons for a 600, so I'm gonna say it's not over bored.

Comment

Working...
                              X