My first Katana or "Hello from Youngstown"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from the Massillon/Canton area.

Originally posted by clark827 View Post
    The kat also doesn't need or want 93.. 87 is all that engine was designed for. She isn't a real "sportbike".
    Actually, the owner's manual suggests that you "Use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher."

Comment

She's all together and purring like a tiger.
      I haven't been back out for an extended ride yet but the difference is drastic. Now that I know what it's supposed to sound like, I can't believe that I thought it sounded alright before!

I have an adapter coming for my color tune and I'll tune and synch the carbs when it arrives. I do believe it is just a bit rich right now and there was a slight difference in compression on cyl #4 so a synch is definitely called for.

Thanks for the offers of help. A bike night road trip may be a possibility in the future?
      BTW, can anyone link a post with pics of the carbs. I have an adjustment screw exposed and what looks like it may be a tamper plug just in front of it. This on the underside of the carbs.
      Last edited by luvmy40; 07-01-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

good luck and welcome to the forum

Comment

Welcome to the group!
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
          Black painted seat and rear trim,
          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmy40 View Post
            She's all together and purring like a tiger.
            I haven't been back out for an extended ride yet but the difference is drastic. Now that I know what it's supposed to sound like, I can't believe that I thought it sounded alright before!

I have an adapter coming for my color tune and I'll tune and synch the carbs when it arrives. I do believe it is just a bit rich right now and there was a slight difference in compression on cyl #4 so a synch is definitely called for.

Thanks for the offers of help. A bike night road trip may be a possibility in the future?
            BTW, can anyone link a post with pics of the carbs. I have an adjustment screw exposed and what looks like it may be a tamper plug just in front of it. This on the underside of the carbs.
            Check out Carbs 102 in the Katana Wiki... Think it has some pictures of our carbs
            Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post

Actually, the owner's manual suggests that you "Use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher."
              They suggest a fuel with a research octane (RON) rating of 91 or higher. In the US we rate fuels using an average of RON and MON instead. Regular fuel for us is called 87, but in other countries that use only the RON rating, it is called 91, or maybe even higher. Ask one of the UK members on here what their regular grade gas is rated at.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by kat600rdr View Post
                Check out Carbs 102 in the Katana Wiki... Think it has some pictures of our carbs
                Thanks, That is exactly what I need to see. My pilot screws are not covered.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                  They suggest a fuel with a research octane (RON) rating of 91 or higher. In the US we rate fuels using an average of RON and MON instead. Regular fuel for us is called 87, but in other countries that use only the RON rating, it is called 91, or maybe even higher. Ask one of the UK members on here what their regular grade gas is rated at.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
                  Interesting...looks like I could save some cash.

Like the average person knows about this stuff. You would think they would print a USA version like they do every other owner's manual.

So, does it hurt the bike to run it on the higher octane? I haven't experienced any adverse affects so far.

Comment

Welcome!
                    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post

Toby T when are we going to meet up ?

Comment

Welcome to the club and congrats on the bike!

Comment

Working...
                          X