Checking in from the PNW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking in from the PNW

Hey all,

Brand new rider here. Bought my first bike a week ago and have spent much time trying to get it running. Having some problems so i thought i would check the web to see what i could find and here i am! I am working on an 89 GSX 750 Katana. Any help would greatly be appreciated and i am looking forward to meeting some new people on here, talking to some fellow mechanics (I work on new fleet vehicles for a living) and maybe find a couple riding buddies from around NE Portland/ Gresham.

Feel free to hit me up on here anytime.
    Jerry

Welcome Jerry! This is a great place for all things Katana. Also, I happen to be a mechanic (not professionally) and live about a half hour north of you in LaCenter. I've been turning wrenches as a hobby for 15 years now, and am currently working on an MGB convertible, swapping in a japanese turbo 4 banger. Anyways, hit up the mechanical section. Lots of good stuff there!

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

04redkat- you know anyone around our area that may be able to help me bring my gsx to life?

Comment

What is wrong with it/ or what are you trying to do to it? Check out the Katana Wiki.. Most of the stuff is posted in their.
          Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm pretty new here and not really sure. Are you looking for a professional shop to look at it, or a mechanic on the side work on it for a 12 pack of beer type? I know of a reputable shop in Portland, but not sure if you want to pay or not.

Comment

Redkat- definitely know the feeling of looking for a side mechanic. That's what I do for cars for ppl I know. I know Portland motorcycle and viscous cycles are respectable companies but can't afford the 70dollar an hour flat rate.

Kat600 I have looked through the wiki and have a clymer manual but still can't get it figured out
              . Am sure its something simple that will bite me in the ***. Two main problems. Starter switch wont work. Did all the testing and I know all switches relays circuit breakers starter and solenoid are good bit suspect hacked up wiring from previous owner?

Comment

Originally posted by 89gsx750 View Post
                Redkat- definitely know the feeling of looking for a side mechanic. That's what I do for cars for ppl I know. I know Portland motorcycle and viscous cycles are respectable companies but can't afford the 70dollar an hour flat rate.

Kat600 I have looked through the wiki and have a clymer manual but still can't get it figured out
                . Am sure its something simple that will bite me in the ***. Two main problems. Starter switch wont work. Did all the testing and I know all switches relays circuit breakers starter and solenoid are good bit suspect hacked up wiring from previous owner?
                Depending on how you look at it, the easiest way would be to run a couple of new wires from the handlebar mounted starter switch to the starter relay/solenoid. This would eliminate PO's hack job. Or, you could use an automotive type pushbutton start switch on the relay. You pulling in the clutch lever while you try and start?

Comment

Yes sir I am.

Comment

Make sure the sidestand is up? Welcome to KR, by the way.......
                    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Is there visible evidence of the PO tampering with the electronics? If so, this could be really fun....if not, it may be a stuck relay. If you have a manual, does it include a wiring diagram? Might be willing to donate some time....if I can persuade the wife.

Comment

Diavolo- sidestand switch has been shorted to permanently be in the up position. Any other suggestions? Im almost considering just replacing the entire wiring harness? Who knows how many ghosts may be lurking in the original?

Redkat - yes there is evidence of PO messing with the harness. Many switches and things were bypassed. The clutch switch was completely cut out and relay was miswired. Have just been focusing on the starter circuit and was gonna move to ignition when I got the switch to turn the motor over? Any help would be apppreciated. Can even arrange to have a cold case of beer waiting for us. Lol
                        Last edited by 89gsx750; 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well, I'm a no beer if going to ride guy, but thanks for the offer. Can you hear the relay click or anything? I'm not too familiar with the Kat wiring, but if there is a good diagram I can read it wouldn't take much. I deal with electronics all day long for work, so wiring doesn't scare me. Just PO's that hack it up. This week is looking pretty packed, and this weekend is totally shot. Let me see what's up with that and let you know.

Neutral switch, when you turn the key on do you get the light?

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome from Ohio.

Comment

Working...
                              X