joining the ranks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joining the ranks

Hi folks! Finally got around to buying a Katana so here I am

I'm 21, married, 15-month-old son, joining the Marine Corps, and the daily driver is a 4wd Explorer. The inspiration for getting a bike (aka, I got the wife's permission because...) is to help balance the mpg's from the Explorer lol. It's not that bad because I live 2 miles from work now, but I'm about to move another 15 miles south, and if you know Washington DC/I-95 traffic, you know that's like adding 45 minutes to the commute.

Enough about me, how about the bike? It's a bright blue 2000 Katana 600. 16,200 miles. No pics yet, ever since I brought it home it's been under the cover due to this lovely downpour we've been getting. Hopefully tomorrow it's gonna clear up and I'll be good to go up and down the street or something lol.

Oh, that's another thing. I'm a first time rider and yes, I'm signed up for MSF at MotoHaven in Fredericksburg, VA for the 27th, 28th, and 29th for the AM classes. The only thing I'm working on right now is learning how to properly start the damn thing. 3 fuel settings and a choke working together somehow to make magic? That's what I'm guessing on right now :P Any help/advice would be nice.

I get it started with the main setting and the choke about 1/2 way. Then I switch it to prime and let it run a bit until the rpms go back down and then I play with the choke and throttle and switch the fuel to main and hope it stays on XD

Anyway, I hope I can contribute something to the community here, even if it's just another nooblet to laugh at and watch as he learns

-deuces-
    1476) p00f will randomly punch whatever is close at hand if he hears a certain word. This word changes on a daily basis, and he is unaware of the word beforehand. Many days can pass when this has no negative impact on his day, however some days he just needs to call out sick to prevent common words from turning him into some sort of punching maniac. It is rumored that his punches can shatter stone, but these rumors were of his own creation.

Welcome!
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Welcome to KR. Once you have it started there is no reason to put it on prime. That is only for when the bike has been sitting a while and you start it the first time.

If you need it, use the choke, and then back off the choke as the bike is running.

Comment

Welcome.. I haven't been on here long either... This site is great so far for us noob's
        Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by p00f View Post
          The only thing I'm working on right now is learning how to properly start the damn thing. 3 fuel settings and a choke working together somehow to make magic? That's what I'm guessing on right now :P Any help/advice would be nice.

I get it started with the main setting and the choke about 1/2 way. Then I switch it to prime and let it run a bit until the rpms go back down and then I play with the choke and throttle and switch the fuel to main and hope it stays on XD

First, read this...

Leave the petcock in the ON position at all times unless you have a specific need to change/use one of the other settings.

To cold start, pull the choke lever to the nessasary/needed amount (it's not just on/off, some experimentation may be needed). Start the bike. Reduce the "choke" to keep the rpms under 3k. Turn it off after anything more than 1 min. The bike should run/idle at this point, or it needs to have the carbs cleaned/serviced.

Also... download and read this...

Welcome to KR!

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR! You found the right place if you have any questions. And congratulations on getting signed up for the MSF course. Great first step.

Comment

Welcome from Ohio

Comment

Welcome from Canton, Ohio

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome!!!!
                      1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                      1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                      Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

welcome

Comment

welcome from va bch
                          just sayin

Comment

Welcome
                            It depends on the temperature and the climate your in .
                            I live in Ontario Canada .
                            I open the choke all the way start the bike .The moment it trys to rev up ease up on the choke to let it warm under 3000 rpms and off the choke when its able to idle on its own .
                            sit and ride

good luck
                            I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Thanks for the welcome folks! I took it around the block today and it was a fantastic feeling lol. Kind of scary, and it took me a try or two to get first gear down, but I employed the slow-walking technique and that was that. I got it up to third gear or so just getting a feel for what it's like, and I can say I'm super excited about the MSF course so I can be on my way to a fun commute

I started it up today and it felt better. I don't know why the guy I bought it from let it run on primer for a few seconds when he showed me how to start it up, but it wasn't necessary today. Thanks for the links about the petcock and the Owner's Manual, which is quite invaluable. I got the bike in my name today so it's officially mine

Thanks again!!!
                              1476) p00f will randomly punch whatever is close at hand if he hears a certain word. This word changes on a daily basis, and he is unaware of the word beforehand. Many days can pass when this has no negative impact on his day, however some days he just needs to call out sick to prevent common words from turning him into some sort of punching maniac. It is rumored that his punches can shatter stone, but these rumors were of his own creation.

Comment

Working...
                              X