X

1st bike!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st bike!!

ok i have a 97 katana 600...i noticed when changing the oil there was gas in it...i removed the carbs and cleaned and inspected all parts and seemed to be ok...i installed them back on the bike and it starts and runs decent...i changed the oil with cheap stuff just to flush out the remaining gas and i noticed that gas went into the oil again...my question is what parts and seals need to be replaced to correct this problem? thanks

Welcome to the site.
    It sounds like one of your floats are stuck. Remove float bowl and make certain the needle moves up and down freely and the floats actually float.
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
        Welcome to the site.
        It sounds like one of your floats are stuck. Remove float bowl and make certain the needle moves up and down freely and the floats actually float.
        Ditto. i had the same problem yesterday. 1hr job no sweat
        "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome to KR. Good luck

Comment

Welcome to KR
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

ahh 97
              Good year
              Welcome to the madness..
              Judge us not the scavengers that persecute humanity..

Comment

Welcome!
                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

welcome and good luck!

Comment

i had the same thing happen on my '02, do the 97's get gas in the air box as well when this happens? if so empty that bad boy!
                    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
                    Chris
                    graphic designer | drummer
                    2002 Katana 600
                    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

yes there is gas in the air box and it is comming out of the tubes on the bottom of the bike...smells like gas horribly...

Comment

Simple test to check where and verify if it's fixed...

Take the carbs off and set them on a bench. Fill the fuel lines/bowls with fuel. Once full, clean off the ends and blow on the fuel line.

If you can blow through them, there is a problme. Keep blowing and you will eventually see which carb bodies are allowing the fuel to get past.

Drain the bowls, remove the bowls for each that was leaking, inspect/clean the needles and needle seat areas, check the float heights when put back in and put the bowls back on. With the carbs empty of gas, blow on the fuel lines with them upside down. If you can not blow through them, turn them right side up and go back to testing with fuel in them.

If you can blow through them upside down.. you should take the bowls off, and try again upside down. You should be able to see specifically which needle(s) are not sealing off and need to be fixed/replaced.

Ultimately, before you put the carbs back on the bike... you should be able to fill them through the fuel lines with fuel and blow with nothing able to get through.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR
                          THE DOC
                          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                          mistake when you make it again.
                          sigpic

Comment

thanks kreylyn i will do that as soon as i get some free time....and thanks for all the welcomes from everyone else...

Comment

Welcome! Kreylin is right on the money. (Like he needs me to tell him that...)
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X