X

Hello! New Kat owner!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! New Kat owner!

Hello everyone! Been lurking for a few weeks as I bought my first bike a short while ago, a 1990 GSX600F. Which I guess is referred to as a pre-kat around here. I was introduced to the forum by another member on a local bike forum(ocmoto.com) and this place is a treasure trove of knowledge!

The bike has 48k miles(that's right, not 4,800, but 48,000!) but motor still pulls strong, but the body's beat up and generally looks run down. No matter, as long as the heart's running well.

I do have one question, which is where I can buy a carb rebuild kit that will include everything I need to completely rebuild my carbs? The idle has been a bit off and sometimes will sound like its dying and I figure a complete carb rebuild wouldn't hurt. It looks like it hasn't been touch in awhile. Also where can I get those emulsion tubes? My tank seems to be emptying out quite quickly and the bike leaves a trail of rich gasoline smell wherever it goes lol

Excited to be part of the kat group and looking forward to get my kat in top shape with your help!

Welcome to the forum!
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR
      THE DOC
      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
      mistake when you make it again.
      sigpic

Comment

Welcome.
        Tejasandre

Comment

Welcome!

K+L sells a rebuild kit that has everything you always need when you rebuild these carbs. If the rubber plugs over the pilot jets are loose than you'll need to order them separately. Same thing for the slide diaphragms. For the plugs I go to Ron Ayers' website. Unfortunately, the least expensive place I know of for the kit seems to be perennially out of stock these days.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR. Good luck with the rebuild.

Comment

Welcome!
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Welcome to kr!
                "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome from NW Arkansas!

DLW
                  1994 Black Kat 600

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone Wildbill, thanks for the info on carb parts. Will be looking into it and hopefully get all the parts in a couple weeks.

About how long does a carb rebuild take for a technically proficient person? Is it something that can be done on a weekend? I'm concerned about it taking awhile and be out of a bike for more than a couple days. Gotta ride as much as I can!

Comment

The carb parts, I would head over to MoPowerSports, Jimmy deals with Ron Ayers and can most likely get you a better price than what YOU would pay through Ron Ayers.

As far as how long it takes, ask Arsenic on here, the man is a carb genius!

Last, but certainly not least...WELCOME TO KR!!!
                      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                      2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Rebuilding the carbs takes about an hour. Cleaning them takes days since I soak them overnight and I can only fit one carb body in the dunk tank at a time. Arsenic bead blasts the outside of the bodies so that'll add some time to the job.

I just got an e-mail from Carbkitscapital.com. They have the float needles in stock but they're still out of the rebuild kits with no ETA at this time. (Somebody was complaining a while ago that they didn't seem to answer e-mails. I sent them an e-mail last night and they responded early this afternoon. Not trying to make any point, just data for the mill.)
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to Katriders

Comment

Welcome to the group!
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,