X

Bought an 01 Katana 600, PINK?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought an 01 Katana 600, PINK?!

I just bought my first motorcycle, an 01 Katana 600. I've been looking around for months, I wanted a 250 to start out, but this Katana was just about the only thing left in my area, so I decided to jump on it. For $1000, it has 23000 miles, runs great, everything works, but it came from a girl who spray painted it purpleish-pink and lost a bunch of the fairings screws and dropped it a couple of times. The oil was low and black, terrible, and spark plugs were exactly the same. $100 in fluid and spark plugs later, the bike runs great! I've got the fairings off and sanded and they're at the painter for a fresh coat of black paint and clear. My motorcycle safety course is the 18th to 20th and I can't wait! I've got a leather jacket and leather gloves coming in, got my helmet, and looking for riding pants and boots. I've already done the poor man's exhaust mod, repaired the petcock, and spark plugs and oil, is there anything else I should do, or any known issues with these bikes? Oh, btw, the guy in the leathers is my dad haha, he had to ride the bike home for me.

Pics!

Welcome to KR! Be sure to post a picture after its painted.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

I'll make sure to, I love this bike. When I first got it, I was a bit hesitant, it was very slow to rev and all, but that was because of the plugs, now it starts and runs great, revs perfectly, and feels pretty solid. I can't wait to take it out for a ride.

Comment

Happy to have you onboard

Comment

welcome
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

welcome, great first bike!! wish I had mine first instead of my ninja 500.. I'd still be riding this if I got it first.. The ninja was off the road after no time, needed bigger/better bike. Good choice.
            My Bike/Project:
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114782

Comment

Welcome to kr, since your dad rides he should know pretty much the basic maintenance of a motorcycle such as, chain and sprocket wear, fork seals, and such. Did you guys check on the air filter when you did the plugs?
              1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR!!
                sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by 6Kat View Post
                  Welcome to kr, since your dad rides he should know pretty much the basic maintenance of a motorcycle such as, chain and sprocket wear, fork seals, and such. Did you guys check on the air filter when you did the plugs?
                  He said that while he was riding it, the bike felt pretty tight. The front brakes wobbled a bit but that's the only thing he complained about. Also, the right handle bar is bent a little bit so it makes contact with the tank at full turn, but it can be easily repaired. He suggested replacing the chain and sprocket while the bike wasn't in use but I'm not even sure how to check for wear in them. And the air filter looked pretty clean.

And thanks for all the welcomes guys.

Comment

Hello and welcome. not a bad 1st bike. nice find
                    It's not considered cheating if it's a motorcycle, right???

2006 Katana 750

Comment

Welcome to KR can't wait to see it when it's done. That reminds me I need to do a oil change.
                      J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

welcome
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by TheCheetorProject View Post
                          Welcome to KR can't wait to see it when it's done. That reminds me I need to do a oil change.
                          I'm definitely dreading the next oil change on this bike. I love Mobil 1 and bought the Mobil 1 full synthetic bike stuff for it, $10 a quart?!

Comment

you should run it naked... looks good naked.
                            sigpic

Ride the twisties!

2000 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Working...
                              X