X

94 Katana 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Katana 750

Name is Travis, wife is Lucy. I am in the military in North Carolina. I have a ZRX1200R and wife has a buell blast. I just picked her up a 1994 Katana 750 yesterday. It needs a little work. Wife is short, any ideas on lowering it? It is stretched and they said the swingarm came off of a GSXR. Any idea on interchangable parts? Thank you for any info. I look to start messing with this thing next week. Will post pictures next week. Thank you for any wisdom and info I get.

Welcome to the group!

There is a lot of info on this site, start searching and you will find what you need!
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
    Black painted seat and rear trim,
    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy's Kat View Post
        Name is Travis, wife is Lucy. I am in the military in North Carolina. I have a ZRX1200R and wife has a buell blast. I just picked her up a 1994 Katana 750 yesterday. It needs a little work. Wife is short, any ideas on lowering it? It is stretched and they said the swingarm came off of a GSXR. Any idea on interchangable parts? Thank you for any info. I look to start messing with this thing next week. Will post pictures next week. Thank you for any wisdom and info I get.

If I wasn't in the process of buying a house, I almost called on that kat... Saw it on craigslist. Nice looking bike if it's the same blue one.

Lowering links will lower the bike if needed. I would check to make sure it's not already... you can only go so low before it's an issue.

What parts do you want to swap up?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

links and back tire

I wont be messing with it until, wednesday, than i will have more info. What kind of links and where? Also, rear rim size that will allow for a 180 tire. Is there an easy swap for this? Bike also has a vance and hines supersport exhaust, thinking about jetting it, because carbs need cleaned anyway. Thank you for your help.
          Last edited by Lucy's Kat; 05-29-2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I wont be messing with it until, wednesday, than i will have more info. What kind of links and where? Also, rear rim size that will allow for a 180 tire. Is there an easy swap for this? Bike also has a vance and hines supersport exhaust, thinking about jetting it, because carbs need cleaned anyway. Thank you for your help.

Check with user ne-oublie to see if he has any lowering links first. I know he made some, can't remember if it was pre/post.

If not there, then ebay or just do a google search for "katana lowering links" and you will find lots of options.

5.5" rim is needed for a 180 tire. GSXR 1990-1993 1100s or 750s will be 5.5" rims, 20mm axles, and the matching curved spoke designs. You will want to get the wheel and carrier, rotor, caliper bracket, axle, spacers, and a set of chain adjusters. Reslot the axle slots for the 20mm axle. Being stretched, you should have clearance for the tire with that rim properly installed.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

dumb newbie

what do you mean by reslot, I have not done anything like this, but am quick learner, do you have a photo, or please dumb that down for me. Thanx. I will be doing this sometime because wife wants a bigger tire. Also, I found links but they all say 98 or newer, do these work? I have yet to really look at the bike.

Comment

what do you mean by reslot, I have not done anything like this, but am quick learner, do you have a photo, or please dumb that down for me. Thanx. I will be doing this sometime because wife wants a bigger tire. Also, I found links but they all say 98 or newer, do these work? I have yet to really look at the bike.

98+ bikes are "post" kats... not the same links to yours. But... don't you have a GSXR swinger stretched already? You need to confirm for sure what swingarm you have that was modded or if you are going to swap out the stretched one for a closer to stock size. This will effect what links you get/need.

As for "reslot" that means your going to need to modify the holes in the swingarm that the alxe goes through.

OEM they are 17.2mm X 2+" long (dont' have the exact length). You would want to widen those holes by 1.5mm on either side so that the total width is 20.2mm wide, and the same length. You can do this by hand with a file (just use a scratch tool to mark out the new 1.5" wider line on either side, and file down to it) or with air tools and a cross cut rasp (makes quick work of it). If you put a flat edge along those slots, you will see OEM they are NOT perfect... Pay attention and take your time and they will be straighter after your done than before you started.

You have a pretty good variance there with no issues, so if you just mark it out well before you start, should be easy to do.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                X