Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New cyclist - VERY new (and pretty pathetic :-P) - Hoping to find some friends here..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, one other thing i wanted to mention. i dont think ive seen any one mention it before....
    when you practice, try to be relaxed. if you ride stiff, it hinders your actions. makes motion and reactions choppy or difficult. relaxing and feeling the way the bike moves helps performance.
    but, be careful. dont become over confident. over confidence can lead to bad habbits. if and when you enter a motorcycle training course, listen to your instructors and pay close attention to demonstrations. pick up on all the good habbits as much as possible. most of all, you need to be comfortable and relaxed as much as you can under stress or high demand in these courses.
    dont be affraid to make mistakes in the beginning of the class, thats what the instructors are there for, to help. they want you to learn well as much as you do. over all, its not hard to learn especially if you dont let it overwelm you.
    just passing this on as it was passed down to me. again, hope this helps

Comment

Welcome, you'll find lots of great people and information on here....... and like the rest of the chorus, "Take a MSF course before you kill yourself or really damage your bike!!!!"
      Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
        My gmax68s, shift jacket, icon pursuit gloves and no name riding boots cost about $225.00 from iron pony.

I rode there with a goodwill helmet, MECHANIX gloves, vans and a hoodie on, left fully equipped
        Ha, good deal. Yeah, I don't think I'll get away with anything like that, if I go with the GX2-Air (which I'm seriously considering), that's $225 online (pretty much indifferent from where you get it from), so, that, plus the helmet, etc. will def. be over that.

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
        Welcome! It's all fixable stuff, it's a good way to learn
        Some say good way, some say bad way. I can't seem to get a straight answer on that..

Originally posted by ~Btech~ View Post
        oh, one other thing i wanted to mention. i dont think ive seen any one mention it before....
        when you practice, try to be relaxed. if you ride stiff, it hinders your actions. makes motion and reactions choppy or difficult. relaxing and feeling the way the bike moves helps performance.
        but, be careful. dont become over confident. over confidence can lead to bad habbits. if and when you enter a motorcycle training course, listen to your instructors and pay close attention to demonstrations. pick up on all the good habbits as much as possible. most of all, you need to be comfortable and relaxed as much as you can under stress or high demand in these courses.
        dont be affraid to make mistakes in the beginning of the class, thats what the instructors are there for, to help. they want you to learn well as much as you do. over all, its not hard to learn especially if you dont let it overwelm you.
        just passing this on as it was passed down to me. again, hope this helps
        I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Originally posted by cybrnathan View Post
        Welcome, you'll find lots of great people and information on here....... and like the rest of the chorus, "Take a MSF course before you kill yourself or really damage your bike!!!!"
        Yeah, I intend to... but I looked around online a bit, and it looks like I missed the boat as far as MSF courses are concerned in terms of getting my license from them. They're backed up all the way until August. Once my paperwork goes through and I'm granted a permit then I'll do both scheduling a road test as well as signing up for an MSF. I'll also have gear soon (going to order this Saturday) and am going to try to get it registered sometime in the near future there-after.

I think I'm going to go with heavy insurance (about $600 in 1 bulk payment through progressive) as it's my first bike for the first riding season. I'll see what happens after, for insurance for next season. That, and assuming the people at the DMV are nice, I can get it registered.

If all goes well (which **** rarely does for me), I may be on this thing in 2 weeks legally and protected... Though as I said, I'll sign up for the MSF regardless, but there doesn't seem to be much hope in using it for my license, so practice and my road test would probably have to be learned by myself.
        '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
        '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
        '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
        '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
        '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

What about getting a learner's permit just to get legal for now? Most states will issue a learner's permit that makes you legal to ride as long as you're in eyesight of a licensed rider. That way you're not breaking any laws - taking the risk of a big ticket, etc - and should be able to get insurance/registration without too much trouble as well as get out to practice without having to worry about the cops.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            What about getting a learner's permit just to get legal for now? Most states will issue a learner's permit that makes you legal to ride as long as you're in eyesight of a licensed rider. That way you're not breaking any laws - taking the risk of a big ticket, etc - and should be able to get insurance/registration without too much trouble as well as get out to practice without having to worry about the cops.
            I ran into legal issues regarding a learner's permit, which I just came here to post about! If you read some of the other stuff - might have even mentioned it in my OP, I took my permit test, passed, obviously (95%), but ran into some legal issues.

The problems come up because I have to be re-evaluated every time I renew something. For some stupid reason, since I had a motorcycle permit in the past (never used it, though), when I re-took the test and such (because it had been 1+ year since I got my permit), they still count it as "renewing a license" - therefore I was subject to evaluation. It's rather stupid. If I hadn't gotten my permit a couple years ago this wouldn't have been an issue...

***************BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG UPDATE*********

Today I got the medical clearance for a permit from Albany, NY (bunch of legal paperwork I had to go through, blah).

That, and assuming my rain check at the DMV is still valid (cut the whole DMV line), Monday morning, I can walk into the DMV, hand them the paperwork they faxed me and the rain check, and they'll hand me my permit (already took the eye exam and permit test and passed both, which is ironic as I have barely legal vision for driving in NY (lowest possible), I always wear glasses when I drive, but I rather not have the restriction on my license..).

The original owner filled out the wrong blank and crossed it out (one line, very small amount). I sent the title home to my dad because there's more DMV's around the area. Unfortunately, a title is supposed to be void if something was crossed off on it, or any corrections made, but sometimes if it's something small like they'll just let it slide.

It's quite sad that the fate of whether or not the vehicle can be registered relies on whether or not the person behind the window got laid last night..but 'tis is life I suppose..

I also plan on stopping by the local cycle store tomorrow morning to verify sizes, I'm going to order my helmet (HJC CL-15), Jacket (Cortech GX-2 Air), and gloves (Some Cortechs for about ~$30-$40 with knuckle guards, but not gauntlets) online tomorrow evening. My dad said he'd stop by some DMV's back at my house to see if he can get one of them to take it.

So the plan is:
            Ordering equipment: Tomorrow evening
            Bike Insurance (Progressive, max coverage): Tomorrow evening
            DMV releases my permit: Monday morning
            Bike gets registered: Monday or Tuesday (hopefully)

Equipment should be here by next Friday, if all goes well, I'll be able to take it out next weekend!!!! Which is GREAT as all I have the week after that is a final (full time co-op and taking a class) on Monday and then it's just work, so I won't be anywhere near as busy, I can actually leave at 5:30 every day like a normal person..

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but things are really looking optimistic!!

I'm very excited as I might be legal and protected next weekend! Will keep you guys updated.

As for the MSF, I'm pretty sure once I get all of this stuff taken care of and some riding time in, I'm going to register for the road test (whenever that can be), for my license, and as soon as I get all of this stuff taken care of I'm going to register for the next MSF course. I can't wait until August until my license, but I'm still def. going to take the MSF course.
            Last edited by Syndacate; 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM.
            '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Glad your taking the steps to be a safe rider. I paid 250 for my MSF and it was worth every tiny penny. Hell, the emergency stop practice alone saved my a$$ yesterday on the way home. Cagers are bad at not seeing us, especially when they make those left hand turns.
              Gear is essential like everyone said before me. Hope you have good times on the bike once your geared up and have that course under your belt. and finally, Welcome to KR!
              ~~~
              Wraith
              1999 Suzuki Katana GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith81 View Post
                Glad your taking the steps to be a safe rider. I paid 250 for my MSF and it was worth every tiny penny. Hell, the emergency stop practice alone saved my a$$ yesterday on the way home. Cagers are bad at not seeing us, especially when they make those left hand turns.
                Gear is essential like everyone said before me. Hope you have good times on the bike once your geared up and have that course under your belt. and finally, Welcome to KR!
                What's there specifically to watch out for about cagers making left turns? Starting in right left-turn lane and cutting over to the left?

============== Update

So I ordered my gear today and got my bike insured. I called the guy (original owner) yesterday to get a dupe title in case no DMV accepts it b/c of the cross-out, and applied for the dupe title, should be here Friday or Monday or something, then he has to fill it out and re-send it to me..so it doesn't look like I'll be reading next weekend, but hopefully sometime mid-next-week - which is GREAT b/c the final for the class I'm taking is Monday (8 days away), so I won't have anything to worry about as far as classes go - just work .

So I ordered my gear today, wound up with:
                - CL-15 helmet, MC1F-Red, just found out when I googled for the gfx code that I could have got it ~$30 cheaper !!!!! - don't know how I missed that...but whatever, blah.
                - Cortech GX-2 Air Jacket - Red
                - Cortech GX-2 Air Gloves - Red

I'll deal with boots when I get a chance, I know it probably shouldn't be, but right now it's lower on my priority list.

I hope to get my permit endorsement tomorrow morning (Monday) on the way to work. Everything should be cleared and I got a rain check at the DMV, should literally just walk in, show the paper, they retrieve my permit test and info, and give me my permit...then when the gear gets here, around the same time that the title gets here, should be time to register it O.o.

Hopefully in 1.5 weeks I'll have this on the main roads almost legally. When everything is 100% legit and I'll register for an MSF course. I also intend to register for a road test after a week or so (short, I know, but I want to be 100% legal ASAP), think I have to wait 7 days after getting my permit, anyway...I intend to pass that thing and get my license, regardless of how much trouble I have at lower speeds ...

Mostly good news, I think..
                '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Welcome to KR from Wilmington, Delaware
                    Regards
                    sigpic
                    2005 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by chamrck09 View Post
                      Welcome to KR!
                      Originally posted by ramkumar999 View Post
                      Welcome to KR from Wilmington, Delaware
                      Thanks and Thanks.

=== Update.

Picked up my permit today, just walked in, walked out, no issues. 16 people were there at 8:20 when I got there, before they opened, 25 by the time they opened at 8:30...ridiculous...
                      '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
                        What's there specifically to watch out for about cagers making left turns? Starting in right left-turn lane and cutting over to the left?
                        The problem is when they're in the oncoming lane, turning left across your path of travel. Something pretty common...

...I intend to pass that thing and get my license, regardless of how much trouble I have at lower speeds...
                        Hate to burst your bubble, but everywhere I've been, the "road test" for a bike takes place in a parking lot with speeds under 25 mph--the same stuff you're having trouble with and the same stuff the MSF teaches so well. That's where most riders have the most trouble.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The problem is when they're in the oncoming lane, turning left across your path of travel. Something pretty common...

Hate to burst your bubble, but everywhere I've been, the "road test" for a bike takes place in a parking lot with speeds under 25 mph--the same stuff you're having trouble with and the same stuff the MSF teaches so well. That's where most riders have the most trouble.

here in Maine, when you go for your road test, they let you on the main roads IN TOWN. the instructor or tester follows directly behind you giving you directions "by horn" or by turn signal. then he judges your performance and ability to follow directions. still, its all 25mph or less.

Comment

Ah, I see, thanks for the heads up. Lane drifters bother me in a car, I'm sure they're 10x as bad on a bike. (Lane drifter is what I inquired about above, start in one lane, end up in the next after the turn)

Here it's different. Everywhere around here is different, I haven't even heard of a parking lot road test in NYS. They follow you through town for a few minutes then have you do 2 circles, a figure 8, then 2 circles the opposite direction on a side road. Haven't been to an area yet in NY that hasn't done in that way. Though yes, I hope to learn a lot about maneuvering the bike at the MSF course.

Originally posted by ~Btech~ View Post
                            here in Maine, when you go for your road test, they let you on the main roads IN TOWN. the instructor or tester follows directly behind you giving you directions "by horn" or by turn signal. then he judges your performance and ability to follow directions. still, its all 25mph or less.
                            Yeah, that's exactly how it is here. You provide the car and a driver, he rides shotgun, follows you, tells you what to do, you go around town, he watches, you end up on some side road where you do your two circles in opposite directions and your figure 8 to connect them.

Not claiming I'm great at the former part, but the latter of the two sections worries me .

============= Update

I think it's registered free and clear - They gave me a hard time about the lien release paperwork b/c it's from '99, I'll have to see if there's a lien holder on the title when I get it back, in the mean time plate should be here in a few days (had to have it mailed to me from back home b/c the DMV wouldn't take it here b/c of the name crossed off on the title (voids the title)). Guess I'll see what happens in a few days.

As for the helmet which I paid $40 too much for, I actually got a call today around 9p ESTZ telling me that they didn't have it in stock, it was a mistake on their website, asking if I wanted to go pegasus gfx instead - I declined and asked them to cancel, which they were very nice about.

So as far as that helmet goes, I just ordered it again, from motorcycle superstore, the CL-15 with the red/white/black Mutant gfx and 2 day shipping, should be here Thursday, $70 shipped, DOT and Snell '05 approved. Sexy.

Visor.

What do you guys think about sun visors? I'm thinking of getting a dark one for those sunny days..

I hear the amber ones are nice for beating the sun, but I rather go smoked. Though I'm not sure if the dark smoked will be too dark opposed to the standard smoked.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I can't really wear sun glasses as I typically wear regular glasses (though haven't excluded the possibility of getting prescription sunglasses).
                            Last edited by Syndacate; 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

wow almost 700 views on this thread! I like the irraduim/mirror visors. I use a silver irradium one for the day and and clear one at night. I should always wear some boots when you ride and they should be high on you list of safety gear. You dont need 400 dollar alpine riding boots, just go to walmart and get some for like 15.00. They have some thick hiking boots that have lots of ankle protection. If you bike falls on your leg and you dont have some kind of ankle protection the asphalt will grind off you ankles and foot. Tennis shoes or any other shoe that doesn't strap on tight will fly off with any impact.
                              sigpic
                              If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly how it is here. You provide the car and a driver, he rides shotgun, follows you, tells you what to do, you go around town, he watches, you end up on some side road where you do your two circles in opposite directions and your figure 8 to connect them.

Not claiming I'm great at the former part, but the latter of the two sections worries me

i think youll do fine dude. you got things covered as far as what you need to know. just practice your clutch(the friction or "slip" zone), breaking and your take-offs.
                                oh, and try to be calm and relaxed as much as possible.
                                youll get it... youll pass. im betting on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X