help needed, new Kat owner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed, new Kat owner

Help needed for trouble shooting electroncs

after running for a while the electronics shut down and the engine stahls, wait a few minutes and turn the key power may or may not come on, when it does the kat will startup, if the battery is low then the power does not come back for obvious reasons.

Re-charged the battery overnight and will check voltage before and after starting to verify charging system, suspecting voltage regulator.

Has anyone else seen this?
    Last edited by timagain; 04-02-2010, 03:43 PM. Reason: more detail

Originally posted by timagain View Post
    after running for a while the electronics shut down and the engine stahls, wait a few minutes and turn the key power may or may not come on, when it does the kat will startup, if the battery is low then the power does not come back for obvious reasons.

Re-charged the battery overnight and will check voltage before and after starting to verify charging system, suspecting voltage regulator.

Has anyone else seen this?
    I had a similar problem in my '81 GS 1000. It had a dead short that was caused by a wire in the tail that I never bothered fixing. I just kept a battery charger and jumpers with me lol. But I would definetly say wiring. Maybe start at the fuse box and start tracing out from there man. maybe even a stator issue so maybe have that checked out too.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I'll take a look at wires while checking the battery with a meter.

Comment

old battery or fuses, i had a fuse in a truck that everytime it warmed up the truck would die cause the fuse would seperate inside.. cooled down it would run, but all the fuses looked fine.... just a thought
        "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

I'm kinda clueless, but Welcome to KR!
          sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
          2004 Katana 600 - Gone
          2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

thanks for the welcome, looking forward to touring NH this season. This sunny weather is killing me while I'm trying to figure out this electrical problem.

Comment

welcome buddy

Comment

Hey thanks, I picked up an 04 750 last Jan, there are a few people at work that have/had Katanas and are/were very happy with them, so I decided to get one and after test riding it knew I liked how it felt. It had been a while since I last rode my old CB 750 that I sold prior to moving across country 11 years ago and it has taken way too long to get back to riding again. I'm really liking the dark blue and black colours on this ride, will have to get a picture to attach to my signature.

here is another observation: the clock is still on while the key is in the off position, but when I turn the key to the on position the clock goes blank and resets to 1am.
                Last edited by timagain; 04-03-2010, 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Great news! My Kat is up and running, I believe that I found the component that has been giving me trouble, the connector that plugs into the starting module (name?) or the module itself?.

after charging the battery for two days I checked the battery voltage finding it fully charged, but when I turned the key to verify the voltage regulator was working the dash lights were still not coming on, so before going any further I turned to the 98-02 service manual to look for componants/test points.

I found that there is a main fuse that is seperate from the other fuses under the seat, checking continuity from the battery pos cable to the starting module, I decided to check the connector that plugs into the module and found some damage (possibly a little cooked) and the pin in the module looks a bit dirty/black, once plugged back in the dash powered up with the turn of the key and the bike will startup.

Comment

Originally posted by timagain View Post
                    Great news! My Kat is up and running, I believe that I found the component that has been giving me trouble, the connector that plugs into the starting module (name?) or the module itself?.

after charging the battery for two days I checked the battery voltage finding it fully charged, but when I turned the key to verify the voltage regulator was working the dash lights were still not coming on, so before going any further I turned to the 98-02 service manual to look for componants/test points.

I found that there is a main fuse that is seperate from the other fuses under the seat, checking continuity from the battery pos cable to the starting module, I decided to check the connector that plugs into the module and found some damage (possibly a little cooked) and the pin in the module looks a bit dirty/black, once plugged back in the dash powered up with the turn of the key and the bike will startup.

Good news!

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Once I felt confident that I had found the problem spot I filled the tank at a nearby station and went for a ride and a sweet ride it was. I still had time so I went and got it inspected and went for another ride, sure felt good and its just the begining.

Comment

welcome to kr. glad you sorted out your problem. its a great bike
                        Originally posted by Slofuze:
                        Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

welcome

Comment

Welcome and congrats!
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

hey welcome, im from nh too!! hit me up if you want to go for a ride
                              2000 suzuki katana gsx600f

1997 yamaha yzf-1000

2002 honda recon 250es

Comment

Working...
                              X