X

New Street Bike owner lookin for some help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Street Bike owner lookin for some help

I recently bought a 92 600f and I'm having problems with it starting and wont run for more then 20 sec when it does start. I got it running when I first bought it and was able to take it around the block. It was pretty slugish then but since wont start and backfires like theres no tomorrow. Any help as to where on this site I can find the most info would be great cause I am new to this site as well lol. Thanks

Welcome to KR. Click on the Katana Wiki link a the top of the page, and do a search there for "Carbs 101". That should help you sort out some issues you are having, and if not, at least it will eliminate the most common causes.
    Last edited by Psycho1; 03-02-2010, 01:06 AM.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Carbs 101....as already prescribed.

New spark plugs.

Check the airbox to make sure it's not full of gas / oil or other crap.

Check the air filter. Make sure the vent / drain line is hooked up to the air box...if not replace it.

Comment

Another thing to check is turn the petcock all the way counter clockwise to the prinme position for about 30 seconds to a minute before trying to start the bike, and see if that changes anything. If it sems to start ok and runs better with the petcock set on prime, it could have a disconnected vacuum line from the far right hand side of carb 4 to the rear of the petcock, or the petcock itself may need rebuilding.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

First of all THANK YOU guys for you help, I really appreciate it!!
          When I bought the bike it didn't have a stock airbox it was runnin K&N's and needed to be re-jetted for them but it was cheaper to put a stock airbox back on it. I did that and it was clean and the air filter it came with looked pretty good but I'll pull that back apart to and check that out again. When it did start and run ok it was right after putting that airbox on and brand new plugs. After I posted the first thing I did some reading and checking out on this site and was reading about sport bikes (this is my 1st one) not wanting to start and run on SLIGHTLY fouled plugs and I was also reading about the petcock. All the stickers and stuff on the petcock are gone so I had no idea about the prime part of it so I'm betting I flooded it and caused the plugs to get wet and foul out so I'm going to start with those and the vac. line cause once again I have no idea what I'm doing at the moment and that was all new info as to where it comes from and go's.
          I'm going to go check out that carbs 101 but any other info and / or ideas would be great! Thanks again!!

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR
              THE DOC
              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
              mistake when you make it again.
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR
                The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
                http://myspace.com/solsticio
                www.facebook.com/solsticios

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                  Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KR from NC!!! Good Luck with your project

Comment

Working...
                      X