X

Hello and goodbye

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and goodbye

Hi all! Just thought I'd say hello to the board - I've been lurking for nigh on three years, grabbing useful info from all sorts of folk on this forum, but now it seems like those days might be at an end.

It all started with a dilapidated GSX600F I picked up off craigslist for $400. I fixed it up, swapped out old parts for new, and kept finding out what a great little bike it was. I drove through thunderstorms and to San Diego and back in a day (from East Bay Area... and I took the long way around when heading south). I have an entire closet devoted to tools and parts for the Kat (for those "just in case" moments) and used oil filters making a modern-day representation of the tower of Pisa. I've run the gamut from heart-grabbing fear to boredom to simple, ridiculous joy.

But then a lady decided to sideswipe me in the middle of traffic while trying to get out of her slow lane. I probably could have made it if she hadn't kept turning into me, pulling the bike out from under me and sandwiching it into a van ahead. At least I braked and saved the leg, eh? But then I ended up missing my exam review while waiting the two hours for police and tow truck to arrive.

I've held onto it for the past few months with a sort of grim optimism that some spit and polish would put it back on its feet. Actually, it might, but I haven't had the heart to check it out. But anyways, if anyone could use a mostly functional '93 600, let me know. Otherwise the insurance company is giving me about ~600 for the salvage. But with the rest of the damages, that means I'm getting about ~2300 (so I sat on trains for seven hours today to look at an '02 SV650S). The SV650 has a great little motor (freshly rebuilt, actually) and it's light and surprisingly quick, with a smooth, predictable powerband. But as I was riding today, I couldn't help but miss that little kick the Kat had at its peak. But I didn't really push it, so we'll see.

If anyone would like to consider my bike, here's a quick rundown:
    -right engine cover cracked - big oil leak from there and possibly elsewhere
    -gauge cluster impacted into forks, pinning them from moving freely
    -naked! sorry, I don't really like the stock plastics and they came cracked anyways
    -35k miles, lots of regular checkups in the garage
    -pretty standard stuff, Yoshimura 4-into-1, stiffer Sonic springs, 14/45 RK/Vortex, Metzeler Z6s, EBC HHs, rebuilt carbs and brakes

I probably just need to get a big vise and rebend the cluster mounting pieces, and possibly replace the whole thing. And then the engine cover would probably run me 40-50 tops to replace it new. It's just the whole thing is very depressing. I didn't even drive for a few months.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do with it? I don't *really* need three bikes (I have a '93 Ninja 250R I fixed up too, but it's not practical enough for any long-distance commuting), but the Katana *was* my first bike. Otherwise, hello everyone and maybe goodbye?

[+]: Okay, so I probably can't repair the front cowling brace. But I could pick up a new one on Bikebandit for ~125, find a new cluster, new signal generator cover for ~35, oil flush, and maybe new turn signals/mirrors. Any idea what the resale value is?
    Last edited by Jiox; 03-08-2009, 01:29 AM.

Sucks , dude .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

sorry to hear that man

Comment

That sucks; glad to hear you're alright.

Comment

Tough break but it's good to hear you're alright.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

ouch dude, glad you made it out alive.... crazy cager!
            sigpic
            2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

That really stinks, but I'm glad that you're alright
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                mistake when you make it again.
                sigpic

Comment

welcome

Comment

Part it out dude. You can at least get some money that way.
                    -
                    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Sorry about your Kat, however you are welcome at KR, heck these guys and gals still let me visit!!
                      sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

Yeah...just cuz you don't ride a kat anymore don't mean anything...

Most of us ride something else now anyhow, but we all had that first love affair with the kat.
                        2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                        BMC Notorious 918 HT
                        2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

welcome to KR. I doubt you'll make much more than $600 parting it out. Give it to the insurance company and let them haul it away. Take the money and invest it in a different bike.

Comment

Working...
                          X