X

Hopefully getting a kat!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully getting a kat!

Hi all! My name is Brian and i am from RI. My friend found this site around a month ago when he bought his first bike a 2000 katana 600 and holds this site with much respect. I thought i could ask you all for some help. See, i have been riding dirt bikes for a while and now to follow my friend i am looking to get a street bike. I found a 93 kat 600 for sale locally. The ad only states "1993 Suzuki Katana 600 14,000 adult miles always garaged, needs nothing divorce forces sale winter priced $900" now i dont know to much about street bikes so i asked my uncle if a 93 was too old, he says that for the low miles that it must not have been riden much and on an older bike like that there would be decaying parts on the inside of the bike and the rubbers would have to be replaced witch would b another $1000. I would just like to know ur opions on it here is the link http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/984451553.html ill try to put a pic of it here too...Thanks for the help and i think what you guys and grils say is keep it rubber side down lol
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Valdor25; 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM.

Looks like a sweet bike, and the price is in the right range. You could probably get another 100 off or so, but I would not have a problem picking that one up for the asking price personally.

New set of tires for it will not run $1k... I would guess if you had to replace them you would be in the range of $250 or so for a nice set, varible would be mount and balance rates.

Those do not look like the stock tires, and seem to have good tread. Why would you need to replace them if they are not cracked?

I say go for it....

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If you get the bike and it runs you will be changing out the tires if they need it about $300. Change the Air filter, and fuel filter. Do an oil change with filter. Flush the brake fluid and check the pads for wear. Take the carbs out break them down and clean them out. Check clearance on your valves, then Do a carb sync. You should be good with that. About 400-500 if you do the work your self. Good luck with your search for a bike! Welcome to KR!

Comment

i think what my uncle was worried about decaying parts on the inside of the bike, any thoughts about that?

Comment

Decaying parts in the internals of the bike is a big possibility i am dealing with that situation right now. It's something you have to be prepared for. That being said i would talk to the current owner and ask about maintenance and what has been done/replaced. Certainely i would keep in the back of my mind that i would need to spend some cash doing certain maintence work and whatever pops up.
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR! I would pick it up but that is just me good luck!
            Former Marine 3/97-3/01
            MOS 0161 Semper FI!
            sigpic

Comment

If it's been taken care of and garaged most of the time, I don't think your going to have very much to worry about at all....

Definately not 2 grand worth for you to pick up a "newer" bike. For 1k you can just about rebuild the entire bike if needed, but I don't think you will.

If it's mechanical, it's gonna need basic service, and small repairs/upkeep. That isn't going to change regardless of what year or model you buy. Best bet is to take it by a mechanic and have them check it out.

Besides, you'll end up putting much more $ into making "upgrades" and mods than you'll spend on repairs for that bike if your anything like more riders I know....

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR, Brian!
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome to KR For that price, I'd be all over it.

Comment

Hello Brian, welcome to KatRiders

I would find out more about the bike. Have they been riding it recently, or has it been sitting for a long time.

It sounds like a pretty good price as long as it is in good shape.
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                        THE DOC
                        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                        mistake when you make it again.
                        sigpic

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome!

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Looks pretty good.......for the price,you got a pretty nice deal!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=107018844
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/neoshifter

Genesis 9:6
                              Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed......RIP Daniel A. Mguire,you'll always be in my heart brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X