Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Got my 98 kat 4 days ago and need help!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my 98 kat 4 days ago and need help!!!!!!

Hello all!! Just got my katana and i was really excited. This is my first bike. I got it on saturday morning but due to the rain i had to ride it on sunday morning. It had almost no gas and i filled it up with 6.75 woooo. Now to the not so good part. As i started to ride it i was shifint at 3k rpm and noticed a little kick to it...also, as i was upshifting i was gently releasing the clutch. I got to my friends house and told the problem to a guy thats been riding for years. He told me not to release the clutch smoothly and to shift at a higher rpm. Between 4-5k....so i did it and it was great advice! Yayyyyyy!!! This just in.......i suck at downshifting. I'll give you a scenario.. Lets say im going about 35 mph and see a red light or stop sign. Since i suck at downshifting im applying both brakes and holding in the clutch. When i come to the stop i down shift from 3rd or w/e gear im in to 1st.... I know that i haved to gradually downshift but its hard for me. Mind you ive been riding for about 5 hours now so i know itll be awhile... Im in nj so its gettin cold. I wanna practice more before i put her away... Anyone have tips for me???? Oh yea....i think its time for an oil change but i dont know how to check it?? Can someone help me out....peace fellow kat riders. Just a little sad that i cant downshift properly. And yes, i did take my safety course

Welcome to KR....Let me be the first to say, Practice - Practice. Find an empty parking lot and practice coming to a stop in lower gears. When you are coasting with the clutch in, you have almost zero control should anything unexpected dart out in front of you.

THE DOC
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

wow...how did you reply so fast?!!?!?!?!?

Comment

<------Always lurking in the shadows! LOL
        THE DOC
        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
        mistake when you make it again.
        sigpic

Comment

Look down towards the bottom of the bike below the faring on the brake side, you will see a round glass window the size of a quarter. You will see two lines, your oil should be between the lines.

When you are downshifting if you blip the throttle as you downshift it will shift smoother, also after your oil change you should be able to shift smoother.

Good luck
          25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

thanks!!.. gonna check it out after class today! im like a day old to this site and love it. ummm... just a reminder im a newbie and dont know what "blip" means?? i know blimpie though.. mmhhhmmmmmmm......blimpieeee ( homer simpson ) my suzuki dealership charges 60 for an oil change...a lot of money .. : (

Comment

Originally posted by Alex F. View Post
              Hello all!! Just got my katana and i was really excited. This is my first bike.
              Um... I was a little worried till the end when you mentioned you took the safety course. As said before, find an empty lot, and practice, if you can do three gears, you can do five gears, six gears, doesnt matter, practice makes perfect. Ride... another good piece of advice, its flurrying here in WV off an on today, and yes,, i ride when its that cold. Practice does make perfect.
              Currently Riding:
              1995 Katana 600
              V&H Exhaust
              Jet Kit

SOLD
              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
              1987 XV700 Bobber
              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Welcome to KR. Keep up the practicing.......

Comment

Welcome to KR
                  02 Kat 750F
                  68 Mercury Cat

Comment

if you let off the throttle when in third and preparing to stop the bike will help all on its own .. then when your rpms get low you can grab clutch and downshift .. blipping the throttle .. means to just give a tad more gas .. when checking oil .. you need to be on level ground and have the bike on its centerstand .. best to check it after you come in from a ride and let it cool off for 2 minutes
                    so many roads so little time

Comment

hello and welcome
                      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
                        Welcome to KR....Let me be the first to say, Practice - Practice. Find an empty parking lot and practice coming to a stop in lower gears. When you are coasting with the clutch in, you have almost zero control should anything unexpected dart out in front of you.

THE DOC
                        Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome! I am glad you took the safety course. The Kat is my first bike, too.

I loved the MSF course. I am glad I took it and I learned a lot. There was also a lot of stuff that was left out, like smooth shifting, for example. Like everyone said, practice, practice, practice. You will get there.

Comment

nice bike... u know where i can get a cowl for it to make it look like a solo???

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Working...
                              X